Maria Elmvang's Reviews > Shelf Discovery: The Teen Classics We Never Stopped Reading

Shelf Discovery by Lizzie Skurnick

Nov 07, 2009

bookshelves: 2011, 4-stars, essays, owned-physical-book, non-fiction
Recommended for: nostalgic re-readers

An incredibly charming book! Not having grown up in an English speaking country, I'd read depressingly few of the books mentioned (only 18 in total, actually), but I have my own list of Teen Classics I've Never Stopped Reading, so though I might not recognize the exact books Lizzie Skurnick referenced, I could at the very least recognize the sentiments behind them.

This is the kind of book I wish I had thought of to write myself - full of book reports, it's the perfect kind of reading and writing for a nostalgic re-reader like myself. The only problem is that it made me want to read a huge number of the books mentioned, and unfortunately many of them are either out of print entirely, or utterly impossible to find in Denmark.

I'd probably have rated it 5 stars if I'd known a larger number of the books.

(For people interested, a full list of the books mentioned can be found here).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shelf Discovery.

Penny Linsenmayer Thanks for this recommendation -- looks fabulous! I've read lots and lots of those books. Just ordered it. :)

Maria Elmvang I think the more books you've read, the more you'll enjoy the book. Let me know what you think of it? :)