Nemo (The Moonlight Library)'s Reviews > A Ranger's Tale

A Ranger's Tale by Mysti Parker

Legit tried to read this despite worst cover ever.

The second sentence had me cringing.

"Fresh hay tickled Caliphany's nose, and she stifled a sneeze. Hide-and-seek was her favourite game, except Aelendyl was allergic to hay, and she knew it."

What is up with that? Does that make sense to anyone?

This book appears to be unedited; either that or the source material was so shockingly bad to being with that this is the best the editors could tame it. It is also poorly formatted and often misses spaces at the beginning of new sentences. Paragraph breaks are not used in the correct manner, and new speaker dialogue is often not attributed its own line as is the accepted norm.

I'm all for experimentation in indie and small press novels but there are some rules that just shouldn't be broken. It makes one look amateur and stupid. Master the rules before you break them, then break them correctly.

It's an interesting story and clearly a decent imagination, but the skill to record it is far too poor.

Unfortunately the book does not get any better. I can't waste my time on something that clearly has not had any love and effort put into it.

Also, victim blaming. Yay.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Ranger's Tale.

November 19, 2013 – Shelved
November 19, 2013 – Shelved as: books-i-own
Started Reading
November 20, 2013 – Finished Reading
May 5, 2014 – Shelved as: abandoned

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Diamond (new)

Diamond Hahaha omg that is hilarious. Wtf does hay have to do with hide and seek? Smh

message 2: by Nemo (The Moonlight Library) (last edited Nov 19, 2013 09:11PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Nemo (The Moonlight Library) Diamond wrote: "Hahaha omg that is hilarious. Wtf does hay have to do with hide and seek? Smh"

Oh, OK context: she's hiding in a barn. Probably should have said that. But you're right, even with the context it still doesn't work. I think it would be better if I quoted the first sentence as well just to avoid confusion.

message 3: by Diamond (new)

Diamond Haha yeah it's still a bizarre sentence. Especially as an opening sentence!

Nemo (The Moonlight Library) Diamond wrote: "Haha yeah it's still a bizarre sentence. Especially as an opening sentence!"

Sorry, I should at least attempt to be more coherent than the book I'm critiquing. But when the author clearly doesn't give a shit it's hard to give one myself.

message 5: by Diamond (new)

Diamond I feel ya, that happened to me recently. For what it's worth, I thought your review was coherent :)

Nemo (The Moonlight Library) Diamond wrote: "I feel ya, that happened to me recently. For what it's worth, I thought your review was coherent :)"

message 7: by Karma♥Bites ^.~ (last edited Nov 21, 2013 03:32AM) (new)

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Just a head's up, Nemo. The *insert word of choice* trolls are out for this one. :/

ETA: Btw, did ya know that the 'follow' option is missing from your profile? *sad face*

Nemo (The Moonlight Library) Karma♥Bites ^.~ wrote: "Just a head's up, Nemo. The *insert word of choice* trolls are out for this one. :/"

What, the book or the review? What's wrong with my review?

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Ah, sorry! I was shorthand typing b/c needed more coffee. Your review is fine. :)

I suppose it would the book/author. See these lovely ladies' bursts of activity:

Sandy Evans @ https://www.goodreads.com/comment/lis...

Ronda Tutt @ https://www.goodreads.com/comment/lis...

And per their profiles, in their 50s, too. Tsk, tsk... *smh*

Nemo (The Moonlight Library) They should be fine with me, then.

Karma♥Bites ^.~ One would think. But just in case, should I pre-empt them w/ the 'how can you rate a book if you didn't finish it?!' >.<

I loved that you mentioned the 'master the rules before you break them' concept. I used it last night in a blog post (still tweaking, probably won't get posted on BL until tomorrow) as nod to S&W's The Elements of Style which is forever ingrained in my head (along w/ that particular teacher).