MJ (butchiebooking)'s Reviews > Unravel Me

Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

bookshelves: sci-fi, prose-love, cover-love, book-girlfriends, mental-illness, heart-eyes, all-time-faves, author-love, iconic-and-lifechanging
Read 2 times. Last read March 3, 2018 to March 4, 2018.

I wonder what it would be like to know that I'm not dreaming, that this isolated existence is not caged within my own mind.

Shatter Me - 90%
Unravel Me - 92%
Ignite Me - 94%
Restore Me - 95%
Defy Me - ?
Shatter Me #6 - ?
Series score - ?

This book is a lot better than its predecessor. And I say that on the basis of two things.

One, there is so much more action. Even though Shatter Me was fairly exciting, not a lot happened. But so much happened here, so much that I'd forgotten about! It was thrilling, and even though I've read this before, many things surprised me. Though that probably speaks to my poor memory.

Secondly, it developed our characters profoundly! Juliette is so much stronger, and I love her. I also love the slight twist Tahereh Mafi puts on her powers. She's not just someone with a lethal touch. There's a little more, a subtle nuance to it. We got a little more of Adam, whatever. And we got more Warner. Don't get me wrong, I'm still not team Warner or anything, but this book did work a lot to make him more grey than evil. Because, I'm sorry to say it, but Destroy Me really didn't do much to convince me of him not being a demon.

I'm so excited to finish this original trilogy and start the next one. I consistently feel my heart being tugged at, both by the thrill and the writing style. This is gonna make me seem emo, but I really do relate to Juliette. Sorry, not sorry.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unravel Me.

Quotes MJ Liked

Tahereh Mafi
“This time I am a force.
A deviation of human nature.
I am living, breathing proof that nature is officially screwed, afraid of what it’s done, what it’s become.
And I’m stronger. I’m angrier.
I’m ready to do something I’ll definitely regret and this time I don’t care. I’m done being nice. I’m done being nervous. I’m not afraid of anything anymore.
Mass chaos is in my future.

And I’m leaving my gloves behind.”
Tahereh Mafi, Unravel Me

March 3, 2018 –
page 210
March 4, 2018 –
page 239
51.84% "i love you juliette"
March 4, 2018 –
page 260
56.4% "i can’t believe i forgot this shit wtf"
March 4, 2018 – Shelved as: book-girlfriends