Adam's Reviews > Relativity: The Special and the General Theory

Relativity by Albert Einstein

Nov 06, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, science, philosophy, freshman-studies-09-10, school-reading
Read in November, 2009

The theory of relativity is amazing and important, but contrary to what the tagline says, Einstein himself is probably not the best person to have explain it to you. I read this class for Freshman Studies in college, and I honestly have to admit that I wouldn't have gotten much of it without the significant aid of in-depth lectures and classroom discussions. This is not because the ideas themselves are too complex, but because Einstein fails in his attempt to make his ideas understood to a layman. I don't know what book you ought to read instead, but there are certainly many alternatives, of which some must be good. Einstein does not assume any knowledge of physics, but he does kind of glide over what his variables mean or where they come from, and this makes it hard to grasp what the math means and how it fits in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Relativity.

11/19/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Rachelle (new) - added it

Rachelle Great explanation of how I'm feeling reading the book!! I can see that the concepts aren't that complicated in and of themselves, but I'm missing some information in order to thoroughly understand what he's saying! I have questions about various scenarios as I'm reading through the book, but my questions are never answered. I have to find a more detailed explanation out there!

Jonathan Perez Same here, just finished it and expected it to be more targeted at the layman. Would you recommend another reference out there ?