Adam J. Osterkamp's Reviews > City of Thieves

City of Thieves by David Benioff

Nov 19, 2013

Right from the opening this book has a ghostly feel, and finishing it is something that's hard fought, though for all the good reasons making it through a book about tragedy should be hard to finish. Benioff pulls you in after the first paragraph, and beats you over the head with atrocity after atrocity as you march through the cold, barren, starved wasteland of Leningrad during the siege.

It takes almost no time for Benioff to show us the plot, as his two main characters get orders that they must find a dozen eggs before the week is out. The book is wonderfully set up, written with great talent, and keeps a breakneck pace that's not hard to keep up with or follow.

While City of Thieves is quite dark throughout, I also found myself laughing at its gallows humor again and again. Benioff has created a terrific character in Kolya, and I find myself thinking of him during moments of my life which are aggravating or hard.

City of Thieves is also about a young man coming of age during a terrible state of affairs. Lev is a heartwarming young man, and I'd happily recommend this book to anyone over the age of 14 or 15, despite some of the more graphic, harder to swallow bits. There are great lessons to be learned from this book about love, friendship, humanity, empathy, kindness, and most of all, appreciating what you have in life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Thieves.

November 19, 2013 – Started Reading
November 19, 2013 – Shelved
November 26, 2013 –
page 130
50.39% "This book is breaking my heart and really making me appreciate all that I have."
December 30, 2013 – Finished Reading