J.G. Keely's Reviews > The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling

The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling by Henry Fielding

Oct 13, 2007

bookshelves: novel, humor, reviewed, uk-and-ireland
Recommended to J.G. Keely by: Ama
Read in March, 2008

Who reads this and laughs not at all may be forgiven only as a simpleton, and does not comprehend.

Who reads this and laughs but a little is too dour and prideful to be of much use, and only laughs when he cannot help it.

Who reads this and laughs a score is the wretched false-wit, and only laughs when it suits his crowd.

Who reads and laughs but once a chapter has a mirthful soul, if no great love for words.

Who reads and laughs at every page shall be my boon companion, and a kiss for each grinning cheek.

Who reads and laughs at twice and thrice a page shall be my worthy better, and may they forgive my endless queries.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling.

Quotes J.G. Keely Liked

Henry Fielding
“No one hath seen beauty in its highest lustre who hath never seen it in distress.”
Henry Fielding, Tom Jones

02/10/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Kelly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kelly I simply adored this book. Have you seen the old movie they made of it? Classic.

message 2: by J.G. Keely (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.G. Keely With Albert Finney? I have not: I prefer to read the book first (Which made for a long summer before the Lord Of The Rings movies came out). Now that I have, I'll put the movie on my 'to see' list.

Amanda There is also a BBC version (about 5 hours long) that is really good with Max Beesly as Tom Jones.

Tatiana So sad that Fielding was a one-book author, though. This was one of my very favorite books of all time, but I was sorely disappointed at his others, which were simple satire and never seemed to touch this level of genius.

J.G. Keely Yeah, the only other work of his I'm familiar with is Shamela, which is an outright parody.

Adam Stevenson Tatiana wrote: "So sad that Fielding was a one-book author, though. This was one of my very favorite books of all time, but I was sorely disappointed at his others, which were simple satire and never seemed to tou..."

Of course he was a playwright and journalist for most of his writing career. His plays are fairly funny (what I've read of them) and his journalism is very very good, especially in the pseudonym of Captain Hercules Vinegar.

He wrote five-ish novels.

'Shamela' I've yet to read, but it is just a take on Pamela.

'Joseph Andrews' was his first proper novel and almost as good as Tom Jones, the character of Parson Adams is up there with 'Tristram Shandy's' Uncle Toby.

'Tom Jones' is great, we know.

'Jonathan Wild' is a very interesting novel comparing a famous thief catcher/gang leader to Walpole,Britain's first de facto Prime Minister.

and

Amelia, which is a sombre piece without many of his early tricks and games.

He also became magistrate of Westminster and founded the Bow Street Runners, the precursor's to The Metropolitan Police.

Busy man.

J.G. Keely I do know of Joseph Andrews by reputation, though I haven't read it.

Tatiana I read Joseph and Shamela after Tom, and so I gave up. But Tom I've read multiple times and it's one of my favorite books ever. I wish I could give it six stars!

message 9: by Neha (new)

Neha haha amazing review.

message 10: by Evan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Evan Who reads and laughs naught outwardly but inside constantly, so as to avoid the kisses to the cheeks (?)