Norm's Reviews > The Sh!t No One Tells You: A Guide to Surviving Your Baby's First Year

The Sh!t No One Tells You by Dawn Dais

THE SH!T NO ONE TELLS YOU:
A GUIDE TO SURVIVING YOUR BABY’S FIRST YEAR
Dawn Dais

Some books seek to entertain, some to enlighten. Then there’s one like THE SH!T NO ONE TELLS YOU that can do both at the same time while scaring the heck out of pre-teens who need the warning that motherhood isn’t all clean diapers and cuddles.

Ms. Dais’s tell-all is a refreshing, comprehensive, brutally honest look at the pain, discomfort and ickiness associated with childbirth and the first few months of human life, wrapped in a cheerful package by someone who’s been in the trenches. I can easily envision a new mommy reading this book, mixing laughter with intermittent glares at the guy who put her to this, and I wonder why there was no chapter on gun control.

While this isn’t a book I would normally pick up to read, I thoroughly enjoyed Ms. Dais’ wit and candor, and there is stuff for guys here, for example the chapter accurately titled, “Poop, Puke and Pee,” and it’s a must for partners who need to appreciate the effort expended in manufacturing a new person from scratch.

Ms Dais employs a deft comedic touch, keeping things light with fun comics, graphics and phrases like ‘pre-poppage pregnancy,’ and with words like ‘mucus plug,’ which is and isn’t funny at the same time. . And while the truth sometimes hurts (like babies aren’t really cute), the humor tells you it’s going to be okay, and the occasional sweet moments show it’s all worthwhile.

If I could fault this book anywhere it would be that the focus is almost entirely on the mothers, with very little on the partners or babies.

I have a sense there will be another book coming out soon that will tell us the Terrible Two’s aren’t as bad as we think.

Norm Cowie
Humor Writers of America
www.humorwritersofamerica.org

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sh!t No One Tells You.

Started Reading