Luke Burrage's Reviews > Cloud Atlas

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Full review on my podcast, SFBRP episode #211, or whenever Juliane finishes it and we watch the movie.

Update: podcast review posted! We talk about both the book and the movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cloud Atlas.

November 5, 2009 – Shelved
November 5, 2009 – Shelved as: recommended-by-sfbrp-listeners
November 19, 2013 – Started Reading
November 19, 2013 – Shelved as: audio-book
November 19, 2013 – Shelved as: reviewed-on-the-sfbrp
November 19, 2013 – Shelved as: reading-with-juliane
November 25, 2013 –
40.0% "My birthmark looks like a brain."
December 2, 2013 –
75.0% "The Ghastly Ordeal of Timothy Cavendish? I'd watch that movie."
December 5, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Alain Dewitt You'll be sorry...

Luke Burrage I'm really quite enjoying it so far.

Guillermo  I love this book. Not really too science fictiony, but it definitely has elements. So judging that this is on your "reviewed-on-the-sfbrp" shelf, will we be expecting an episode on it soon?

Luke Burrage Juliane and I are both listening to the audiobook. We'll watch the movie before reviewing it too. First we'll review Excession.

Guillermo  Im really looking forward to what you and Juliane think of the film compared to the book. I tell people to watch the trailer. read the book, and walk away!

David Sven Now you'll be able to understand the movie...all six of them.

Luke Burrage It's going to be a while before we watch the movie and review the book. I'm going to Brazil for a week, and we don't have time to get everything done before I leave. I'll be doing plenty of other reading and audiobook listening though, so look out for plenty of new episodes before Christmas.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Oh god the movie. I'm glad you read the book first, because it is really great.

The movie....

Sigh.

And isn't the Hawaiian section of the audiobook fantastic? You should take a peek at the print to see how it's written.

Luke Burrage I was in a bookshop last night that had a few copies, and I forgot to take a look. I'd heard that many pages have clouds on them too.

message 10: by Alain (new) - rated it 1 star

Alain Dewitt I can't believe you liked it. I'll have to listen to the podcast to find out why. I thought it was just awful.

David Sven I thought the nested stories and the way they are interconnected were gimmicky - but still cool. The movie took the nested structure and then hit the shuffle button. That's not right! But it was still visually appealing which almost made it worthwhile me explaining things through the whole movie to my friend who hadn't read the book.

message 12: by Jeff (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeff Enjoyed the SFBRP show. I also really liked the book and the movie. Like David, I went to the movie with someone who had not read the book and had to explain things to them. I was skeptical that they could even pull off a movie based on the intricacies of the book but I think they did a decent job, and it didn't hurt to have some pretty good actors and impressive visuals.

message 13: by Alain (new) - rated it 1 star

Alain Dewitt David, I thought the movie helped establish the connections between the characters in the various stories better. I found the connections between them in the book too tenuous to have any real meaning for me.

message 14: by Ryan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryan Enjoyed the review! (While driving through snowy Vermont) Cloud Atlas is one of my favorite books: while some find it gimmicky, I love the brilliance of the writing and the meta-story. Which story is "real"? None of them? All of them? It's unanswerable, and that just clicked with me.

It was fun hearing you and Juliana pick up on the Easter eggs. There were some I hadn't even noticed.

Brian Luke, this was one of my favorite of your podcast reviews (I've listened to about 40 of your podcasts so far). Great book, too. I liked the movie a lot, but likely wouldn't have enjoyed it if I hadn't read the book first.