Grace's Reviews > The Pit Dragon Chronicles, Volumes 1-3: Boxed Set: Dragon's Blood, Heart's Blood, and A Sending of Dragons

The Pit Dragon Chronicles, Volumes 1-3 by Jane Yolen

Nov 04, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy, sci-fi, young-adult

These were my introduction into science fiction and fantasy, and they're great. They're gory and desperate and cruel and wonderful. You can imagine how after years of beginner chapter books and Anne of Green Gables, something like this was a smack in the face.

Yolen outlines a world that is TOTALLY unlike our own. The main character is a bonded slave, born into a situation he hopes to buy his way out of. Nobility isn't always rewarded in this series, and sneakiness sometimes turns out to be the winning move. Refreshing when you're ten and just starting to get exactly how unfair the world can be -- and it's nice to see that understanding reflected in a book.

Honestly, if your kid's shown any interest in this sort of book, leave the first one lying around and see if they'll bite. The worldbuilding is incredibly creative, the dragon aspect totally cool, and the writing's just flat-out great -- Yolen is quality whenever she writes, and this is a stellar example of writing for children who can handle getting their minds blown. Honestly, a favourite series. I'm going to have to rummage through my library and see if I still own them to take another pass.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pit Dragon Chronicles, Volumes 1-3.