Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > One Door Away from Heaven

One Door Away from Heaven by Dean Koontz

Nov 04, 2009

bookshelves: favorites

The one about the little boy alien and the dangerous young mutant.

I like this book it's one of my favorite Koontz books. I'll say this, you won't find this exact plot elsewhere. It draws you in and gets you involved with the "participants". It's between a 4 and a 5...but I figure it tipped the scales and went on to a 5. As I said a favorite among Koontz's work for me...I've read it several times.

What else can I say? Not much without spoilers. There's a bit of laughter here, a dose of tears and some great lines in the mouths of some great characters. I mean what other book offers shape changing aliens, a dangerous young mutant, a psychopathic serial killer, an insane drug addict, someone who can't tell the difference in their own memories and the old movies they've seen, a P.I., alien bounty hunters, a hoarder,....and Amazons? Oh yeah and possibly Gabby Hays, though in all honesty it turns out to be a lookalike. Hope that isn't too much of a spoiler.

Buckle up join in. The book has laughter, pathos, action, and storytelling, not to mention an actual plot and the above mentioned fully formed characters.

5 stars. Highly recommended, enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Door Away from Heaven.

Finished Reading
November 4, 2009 – Shelved
August 1, 2010 – Shelved as: favorites

Jeannie Sloan This is a wonderful book I have to agree. One of his best, I think.

message 2: by Kara (new) - added it

Kara Neat. It's been a long while since I read Koontz, and I wouldn't have known what to pick up. I'm adding this one to my pile for future rainy days.

Mike (the Paladin) Cool, in case you didn't pick up on it, I like the book. :)

message 4: by Marina (last edited Jan 24, 2012 04:25PM) (new)

Marina Fontaine This was a weird reading experience for me. It took me FOREVER to get into it, and I kept wanting to just give up but people kept telling me to just stick with it. Honestly, the first time around the ending is what made the book for me, and it's in fact one of my top 10 now and one of the few I enjoyed even more on re-reading some years later.

message 5: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Jan 24, 2012 05:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike (the Paladin) I got the audio out of the library for my wife and then listened to it myself after she was through the first time.

message 6: by Fred (new)

Fred Haha, I forgot about the Gabby Hayes look-a-like. I'm not sure how many people would recognize him these days. I had Gabby Hayes curtains in my bedroom growing up, now I wonder where on earth my mother came up with those (or more importantly, why?) I really liked Micky in this book (sp?) and Leilani, of course was awesome!

Mike (the Paladin) Ms. Bellsong and the Dangerous Young Mutant??? yeah. I loved the line "you travel with Amazons" and the answer, "just two".

message 8: by Olga (new)

Olga Godim I'm not much into Koontz but I guess I should read this one. Thanks for the recommendation.

message 9: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Jan 25, 2012 07:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike (the Paladin) He got famous with most of us as Roy Rogers' mumbling side kick. Most don't know today that his name was George Francis. He was a vaudevillian and actor and was so successful that he retired at 43. That was however 1929 and he lost everything in the stock market crash. After that he had to return to acting and got into films and later TV.

message 10: by Mike (new)

Mike Thanks for the recommendation Mike. I'll check it out.