Kaje Harper's Reviews > A Case of Possession

A Case of Possession by K.J. Charles

bookshelves: favorites, fantasy, historical, m-m, paranormal

4.5 stars. This was a different book from the first, and I loved it for and in spite of those differences.

It's a more emotional book, with more heart. Crane and Stephen matter to each other now, not as two men in the first brilliant flash of mutual attraction, but with a bond that is deeper than they sometimes care to admit. The funny little foretaste in the free short, Interlude with Tattoos, has become a melding of talents and desires. They are still living apart, having separate but sometimes intensely intersecting lives. But that's taking self-control from both of them, as they resist a deeper relationship for different reasons. I love emotion in my books, and liked feeling the heart of the story more intensely here.

On the other hand, this is a less-tightly-crafted book. The crystal polish of language in the first one seems a bit more muted, and the mystery is simpler. That's not all bad - I found the climax of this book easier to follow and more concrete, which I personally prefer. Crane's banter was also less sharp, perhaps because love was mellowing him (although he would no doubt be very dismayed at that thought.) At least, without Stephen as a fully deserving and ready target, he had slightly fewer beautifully-cutting lines here.

In this book we meet important secondary characters with enough detail for us to get a better feel for them. In addition to the inimitable Merrick, we meet Stephen's fellow justiciars and get to see them at work. The historical setting plays a strong role, reminding us that we have come far, if not far enough. There is more sex, and it's well done, with heat and desire that also moves the story forward.

I enjoyed this, devoured it in one reading, and will happily reread when the next one comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Case of Possession.

November 16, 2013 – Shelved