Cyndy Otty's Reviews > The Reckoning

Nov 04, 2009

bookshelves: young-adult
Recommended to Cyndy by: Kelley
Read from April 30 to May 04, 2010 — I own a copy

The one major downfall I found with The Reckoning is that it starts out slowly. It picks up right where The Awakening left off and because of that the lack of action does make sense, but I found myself biding my time until something happened.

As usual, Kelley Armstrong does not let down, though, because once things do start happening there is a lot going on and very quickly at that. It's not long before our ragtag group of supernaturals is pitted against the forces of evil . . . or at least justifiable paranoia. That might sound cheesy, but it actually is the wonder of Armstrong's writing that it never seems that way. Through Chloe her narrative just sucks a reader into her world, making the peril she's experiencing quite palpable. I'm especially fond of Chloe's voice -- especially given my recent issues with language abuse in some other young adult novels -- because she is just the right mix of young and mature that keeps the story purely centered in a young adult world but doesn't alienate the reader with excessive slang or juvenile speech.

Of course, the dynamic between Chloe and Derek will always be the major draw for me in this series and they are especially adorable in this installment of the story. Call me a hapless romantic, but the two of them just define first, young love to me. They are such a wonderfully compatible pair for one another and anytime they manage to have a moment alone I can't help but smile at their interaction. Most interesting for me is that they both have truly grown since the first novel and while it's only been a few weeks it's a believable arc.

I also found that I enjoyed the side characters more in this one than before. Tori in particular was actually likable, while still maintaining the mystery element that's been inherent to her character. I wouldn't have minded if her and Simon had a bit more time to evolve into their own, but I was pleased with the end product of their specific journeys as well. It was also pleasing to see all the supernaturals really come into their own regarding accepting their lot in life due to the Edison Group's gene manipulation. And, of course, doing something about all the creeps trying to lock them up and/or kill them! However, I was quite shocked at some of the events in some of these fights. Nothing graphic -- which I appreciate immensely -- but much darker than the first two have been.

For what it's worth, I really don't have any complaints. I greatly enjoyed this conclusion to the series and as a whole I found the entire trilogy incredibly endearing and entertaining. And while I'll miss these characters, I am quite excited for The Gathering and the continuing story that Armstrong has in store in the next three books.

[Originally posted at my website.]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reckoning.