Eric Buffington's Reviews > Eon: Dragoneye Reborn

Eon by Alison Goodman

liked it

This book had such great potential, but it let me down a little. I LOVED the cover art, review by Orson Scott Card, and the basic storyline; a female with a special ability, trying to prove herself in a male dominated society. So I bought this book with high hopes.

The book started out strong with great character development. I felt conflicted about certain characters and their motives and was pleasantly surprised by how real some characters seemed. I also liked the political intrigue that was threaded through the book.

In the proper ancient-China-type setting the villain seemed to be very extreme in his actions. He was able to throw tradition and honor to the wind in an attempt to get his way all because he had a higher rank. It seemed a little contrary to the culture.

I'm a little conservative about certain things so I really didn't appreciate the attempted rape scenes, and mass raping of concubines by invading soldiers. I don't think these sequences added anything to the story and, as realistic as it may have been, it's something I don't want to read about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eon.

November 16, 2013 – Started Reading