Dorreh's Reviews > The Selection

The Selection by Kiera Cass

liked it

It wasn't a bad book, it really wasn't. Had i read this two or three years ago when I was neck deep in the my love for predictable happily ever afters, I would have been head over heels for this book. But sadly that isn't case now.
The book was well written and with a melodic drift that made you want to find out what happens next, even though you kinda already knew what's going to happen since the first page. In a simply mediocre kind of way.

But all in all I can't really complain, it's not something I would read again, but I did enjoy it enough to want to read the rest of the series. But then again that is debatable, given my limited time to read, and the frankly averageness of this book. The main character albeit, as previously mentioned, being predictable was quite interesting. She has a kindred spark to her spirit that always attracts me like a moth to a flame. And although I'm not particularly a fan of love triangles, this one started of from the beginning as a trio conflict. That I admit was also a source of attraction to me.

The ending kind of put me out, because let's face it, boys and their egos don't allow for honest admission of mistakes and then the pledge to continue fighting for a girl that admits she might have feelings for someone else, no boy is that mature. (No offense to the male gender itself, but reality isn't so perfect).

And just to be clear, I do not, in any way approve of violence. Not at all, but I honestly wouldn't mind Celeste's head on a pike too much, you know?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selection.

Finished Reading
November 16, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
November 16, 2013 – Shelved
October 4, 2015 –
page 128
38.1% "Cheeeesssyyyy with a side of cheese "
October 4, 2015 –
page 128
38.1% "Cheeeesssyyyy with a side of cheese "
October 7, 2015 –
page 230
68.45% "I already know how this will go down"
October 7, 2015 –
page 269

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by Horace (new)

Horace Derwent we're too old for this

Dorreh Yeah sadly true

Dorreh I didn't dislike it, it's just it wasn't enthralling, you know?

message 4: by *eKa* (new) - added it

*eKa* Well, I already had it in my shelf though. Hope I'll like it :D

Dorreh I hope you enjoy it more than I!

Chesca Terrific review, Dorreh. :) xx

Dorreh Thank you!

message 8: by Frances (new)

Frances Good review Dorreh!

Dorreh Thank you!

Karen Wang Celeste does totally deserve some sort punishment, unhappy ending. I mean come on, nobody likes a stuck up, self centered, I'm-better-than-everyone-else-and-is-the-only-one-who-deserves-Maxon kinda person. I agree when you say that it's not a boring book. but it is so cliche it is on the brink of boring. You almost know for sure what is going to happen with every page turn. I didn't hate the book, but it doesn't deserve a gold star either. I'm probably going to go find the sequel now, to see who Maxon chooses. Maybe a little bit intrigued in what will happens next.

Dorreh Yeah you're right, I think if I ever finish this, it will be out of curiosity to see what finally happens and nothing more!

message 12: by Ms. Smartarse (new)

Ms. Smartarse Oh, for me books like these (stuff I would've liked a few years ago) are soooo frustrating: I want to go to the same excited state of mind, but I can't... which makes me awfully annoyed.

Lovely review. I probably won't spend any money on such a book: too YA-ish for me, but I can't help and admire its cover every time I see it in a bookstore. :P

Dorreh Yeah I agree completely!

Nazanin Awesome review, hun! 💗

Dorreh Awwww thanks nazanin 💕

message 16: by Shaina (new)

Shaina Yes, I admire that these draw readers and that they have beautiful covers and stories, but I'm like you ... They are not for me. I do appreciate them for what they are though. Good review. :)

Dorreh Thanks shaina!