Kathryn's Reviews > We Thought You Would Be Prettier: True Tales of the Dorkiest Girl Alive

We Thought You Would Be Prettier by Laurie Notaro

Oct 13, 2007

bookshelves: memoir-essay
Read in January, 2005

This book is an absolute scream. My roommates got so sick of me laughing out loud every time I was reading this that we just had to read it together. As a bunch of 20-somethings, we could totally relate to Notaro's stories and even told a few of our own. We all want to "grow-up" to be just like Laurie.

As a follow-up to her first book, Autobiography of a Fat Bride, this book stands alone and stands even funnier. From half-cocked adventures with her husband to a totally out-of-whack mother, any woman can relate. Notaro is far from perfect and not afraid to show it. She uses humor to make herself approachable and her stories enjoyable. It can help any woman see the lighter side of all the mishaps in life.

Although some of the jokes run throughout the book, you can easily pick a story at random to read before bed--it will put you in the right mood to have good dreams.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Thought You Would Be Prettier.