Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)'s Reviews > Taming The Beast

Taming The Beast by Heather Grothaus

Nov 03, 2009

bookshelves: scarred-hero, recluse-hermit, marriage-of-convenience, fairy-tale-theme, historical-romance, medieval, favorites, tortured-hero, outcast, awkward-misfit, less-than-perfect-hero-or-heroine, heroine-on-the-chase, heroine-i-adore, hero-to-die-for, owned-copy
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) by: Impulse Buy
Recommended for: Medieval romance fans, fans of Beauty and the Beast theme
Read in November, 2009

This was a total impulse buy that paid off. I loved this book. It was one of those stories that I couldn't put down, and I was compelled to read, even though I had already started some other books. It couldn't believe how fast I read it, within about four to five hours.

I love medieval romances, so that helped. And I'm a sucker for the broken/scarred/hurt hero. Well, Roderick is all three. He comes back from the Crusades a broken man, although he had lots of baggage before he went there, with a father who did nothing but torment and treat him poorly and had driven his mother to suicide. Thankfully, his good friend that he makes during the Crusades saves his life and gets him medical attention, and the word that his father has died and he must find a bride to keep his land, gives him the strength to fight to get better and to come back to England.

There were times when Roderick descended into self-pity. I suppose this might not work for all readers, but it was realistic. If if a man had always been talked down to and ridiculed by his father, I wouldn't expect him to have the healthiest self-esteem. Yes, he might annoy some readers the way he pushes his son away and doesn't want to let Michaela in, but I loved Roderick from the first page. He's one of those heroes I really wanted to see happy. I could understand why he kept those he loved and who loved him at a distance, feeling he wasn't worthy and would fail them.

I adored Michaela as well. She had some moments of self-interest, but at the same time, I could see why she was motivated in such a fashion. She had been picked on her whole life because of her mother insisting that she had gotten kidnapped by The Wild Hunt. They called her Devil's Child and stuff like that. She was clumsy and tended to trip and run into things. Plus she grew up poor, although very much loved. One night at a party at her overlord's manor, she gets his attention by her bond with his daughter, Elizabeth, who hasn't talked since her mother died. Also her beautiful singing voice makes Michaela stand out. He invites her to come live with them as Elizabeth's companion. Because of this attention she gets from him, she fell in 'love' with her overlord, and he made some gestures like he was going to marry her, but married her arch-nemesis instead, humiliating her. So she decided to marry the Beast, who was the lord over the man who spurned her, a move motivated out of revenge against this man who spurned her, since he won't inherit the properties of Roderick, his cousin.

She goes to his rundown castle, determined to fulfill the required ninety days of residence before the marriage. When she finally sees The Beast, she is instantly attracted to him, scars, limping, and surly demeanor and all. She falls into his beautiful and bright green eyes, and likes his large, sculpted body, despite the fact that it's clear that his leg and arm are crippled. Their dance around each other made this book worth reading. There was an intense attraction between Roderick and Michaela that sparkled off the page. At times, Michaela was very much put into the role of the "Chaser," but it worked for me, because Roderick had never been loved in that way, so it was nice to see someone working for his affections. It was cute how Roderick was somewhat bewildered by his strong feelings for Michaela.

Another thing I loved was the toddler Leo. He was so cute. I just wanted to take him out this story as my own baby. I loved his baby talk, and how loving he was. As Roderick's acknowledged son by a prostitute in the Crusades, he had a big role, since he was Roderick's heir. Also, the interplay with Roderick as he tries to keep his distance out of fear of destroying his son the way his father destroyed him was pivotal in the evolution of this story. Just reading the scenes with this cute little boy made this book so much more enjoyable. I'm so serious. This kid was so adorable. I liked the way Michaela bonded with him and helped improve the relationship between Roderick and his son. Like any baby, Leo loved his father unconditionally, but was somewhat kept at a distance that was somewhat confusing for the toddler. I was glad that this changed significantly over the course of the book.

Hugh was also a great character. His steadfast friendship and aid to Roderick. His love and care for Leo. His flamboyant tastes in clothing. His potty mouth and irreverent humor. His bad advice to Michaela about how to snare Roderick's affections. It gave this book another appealing layer.

There is a thread of the paranormal that runs through this book that intensifies at the climax. I thought it was very interesting, and also unnerving. It was very cool. Now I have to read the short story in Highland Beast, which is about a character who shows up in this story.

I really, really liked this book,and I would highly recommend it to fans of scarred/wounded heroes,and heroines who are determined to get their man, but aren't obnoxious about it. I'm glad I was able to spend a few hours with Roderick, Michaela, cute little Leo, and Hugh, who made me laugh, and also choked me up with his devotion to Roderick. It was time well spent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taming The Beast.

message 1: by Dina (new)

Dina Great review, Danielle! This book sounds very interesting. I'll have to check it out.

P.S: Impulse buys that turn out to be winners are the best!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks, Dina. Yes I love those positive kind of impulse buy experiences.

message 3: by Rane (new)

Rane Awesome Review Danielle!

message 4: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Fantastic review Danielle!

message 6: by MelissaB (new) - added it

MelissaB Nice review Danielle! I have Warrior by this author in the TBR pile.

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (last edited Nov 09, 2009 08:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks, Melissa. I hope you enjoy it. I think I need to pick that one up. I have three of her other books in the tbr pile.

message 8: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie As always Danielle your reviews always make me read books!=)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Aww. Thanks, Julie! I'm glad they help you out!

message 10: by Julianna (last edited Nov 09, 2009 10:13AM) (new)

Julianna Wonderful review, Danielle! This book sounds great, so onto the TBR list it goes.:-)

I'll second what Dina said. I just love when a random impulse buy turns out to be a winner. It doesn't happen often enough.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks, Julie. I hope you enjoy it. I was very happy yesterday after I finished it.

message 12: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 This is a terrific review Danielle and has made me want to get the book NOW! I am definitely ordering it and putting it on my TBR list.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks, Alexis. I love that feeling when you're excited to get a copy of a book.

message 14: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Nice review Dr. D! You've totally convinced me to add this to my wishlist.

message 15: by Beanbag (new)

Beanbag Love Great review, Danielle!

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen Great review, Danielle. Definitely something I'll pick up.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks, Karen. I hope you enjoy it!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Fantastic review, Danielle! This looks really interesting. :)

Zumbagirl This book looks awesome! Thanks for the review and rec. I don't normally read paranormal but this looks like it has enough elements that I do like

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks for reading it, Zumbagirl. The paranormal elements are pretty mild.

Steamywindows♥♫ Loved your review! You had me at Leo! I love stories with children.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks, Steamy! He is adorable!

message 24: by Heather (new)

Heather Grothaus I must agree--this is a fabulous review! ;) Thank you!