Gaele's Reviews > Time Spell

Time Spell by T.A. Foster

bookshelves: independent-review

What a clever premise and a great start to a promising new series! T.A. Foster has introduced us to Ivy Grace, a young witch that uses her skills to time travel, adventure and then come back to the present to pen a story, purported to be fiction. This is appropriate for YA readers, although the usual tropes of insta-love and love triangles are not at the forefront. Because there is a lovely mystery to sort out: Ivy’s stories are gaining in popularity and there is someone who is not happy about that fact. Ivy must discover who is threatening her, how to protect herself and even more importantly, how to protect her family.

Growing up as a witch, there are certain rules that must be followed, and Ivy technically hasn’t broken them: she isn’t sharing her skill or telling people what she can do, but she is profiting from her ill-advised adventures and use of magic. Ivy is easy to relate to: quick witted and well-adjusted, her interactions with the secondary characters are wonderfully wrought, and those secondary characters play a large part in the story.

Her family relationship is an enviable one, and although she has a crush on her editor, Jack, she has kept the ‘reality’ away from him, remaining professional. As we always learn, changes from the past can affect the present: that reality hit home when Jack received a threatening package for both he and Ivy and their families.

In this book, Ivy travels back to the 1960’s – first to gather her book, and then again to fix what went wrong. With a supernatural boyfriend who was quite interesting and willing to go to great lengths to protect and help her, the pages flew by as I was trying to see what would happen next.

There are a few elements that I wish had been developed more: most of Ivy’s character is developed and shown in her interactions, and I would like to understand her motivations a bit better. Additionally, much of this story is told in flashback form, past tense, and I wonder if the inclusion of more perspective based on being in the moment wouldn’t have helped to increase the tension in a few crucial spots.

As a clever mystery with a dash of romance, this is a unique offering and a wonderful start to a new series. I’m ready to jump into the second book in the series….

I received an eBook from the author for purpose of honest review. I was not compensated for this review: all conclusions are my own responsibility.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time Spell.

Started Reading