Mont'ster's Reviews > How to Shit in the Woods: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art

How to Shit in the Woods by Kathleen Meyer

Oct 13, 2007

bookshelves: non-fiction, topshelf, humor, got-it, reference, geography-travel
Recommended for: anybody serious about camping
Read in January, 2003

First thing - you can't be put off by the title. This is another book that I picked up at a gun show and, honestly, I don't think I would have bought it in a "normal" bookstore. The author isn't going for "shock value" - she has a very humorous preface detailing the anguish she went through in trying to pick a title that conveyed her subject and the seriousness with which she treats her subject.

Meyer states that she felt that all euphemisms for "doing your business" were distracting and honestly unnecessary.

I disagree with most of what I hear from the "greens" but this book is actually useful and practical. Meyer wrote it because in her own camping experiences she quickly saw that she (and her city friends) were pretty clueless when it came to taking care of one of the most basic human needs - how to take a dump outdoors without getting a turd in your boot.

One lesson that all of us could take from this is "If you pack it in, then pack it out" (or if you're too sqeamish to do that) know what to do with your waste so the area will be unspoiled for the next person that comes along.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Shit in the Woods.

message 1: by Siham (new)

Siham I agree with the author this is a vital issue we all need to deal with carefully. I remember a case that annoyed Egypt for long time etc Schistosoma بلهارسياwhich was caused by the farmers unraratimg in the water streams and it caused death for a lot of people. The world need to learn how to take care of business by taking it home and dump it in the designated areas.