Celia's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

bookshelves: dystopian, futuristic, youngadult

The sequel to the crazily-successful and completely addictive YA novel, The Hunger Games, I read this compulsively, despite the difficult to believe elements of Collins' dystopian future (where children are pitted against each other in death matches). I just don't believe in the political structure that's supposed to justify this set up, but that didn't detract from my enjoyment of this extremely fast paced story (months zip by in pages at times), pitting Katniss and Peeta once again against seemingly unbeatable odds.

Their actions at the end of The Hunger Games have had far reaching consequences that take some time to reveal themselves, and Catching Fire ends ready to launch us into the as yet untitled third book. I felt that certain aspects of the story were a little staged, as if the pace of the story couldn't be maintained outside the structure which pervaded the first novel (is that vague enough to avoid spoilers?), and the change of pace throughout the story threw me a little. Compulsively enjoyable, all the same.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.