Bret James Stewart's Reviews > The Christian Theology Reader

The Christian Theology Reader by Alister E. McGrath

19232021

I need to preface this review by saying I do not like this type of book. Readers contain snippets of various works so you can get a feel for various issues on a given subject--theology, in this case. As usual, there is not enough room to really get a feel for the information, so you have to go and find the original if you want to do anything beyond skimming the surface. All the readers I have were bought because I had to for school. The only thing I use them for is padding out bibliographies for papers. Okay, that' s enough of front matter.

McGrath has done an average or slightly above average job on this book. He generally provides pro and con views of a matter, which is fairly standard. His selections are mostly acceptable, and it is easy to find information. Frankly, what else is there to do? I rank it four stars for being a decent example of what it is. It is not spectacular, but it is better than some I have seen. I fault it for assuming Roman Catholic dogma/doctrine represents Christianity, and I fault it because I just don't like it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Christian Theology Reader.

Finished Reading