C.G. Drews's Reviews > Lady Midnight

Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare

bookshelves: 5-star, read-2016, young-adult, paranormal, read-2017, reread, read-2018
Read 3 times. Last read November 22, 2018 to December 5, 2018.

READ #3 | Dec 2018

[cue long existential scream of how much I love this book] All I'm saying is that if I had to choose, at knife point, 5 favourite books...this would make the list. I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO SUM UP MY FEELINGS ALRIGHT. 3rd time reading and I am still not ok. I am so wholly and absolutely in love with the Blackthorns and my imagination never never stops with the page, or chapter, or even the novel's end. I just can't let it go. Can't stop thinking about it. This is what I want a book to make me feel?! Absolutely. everything.

(GOD I HAVE SO MANY FEELINGS ABOUT MARK.)

(I NEED QOAAD BUT MY PREORDER HAS NOT ARRIVED.)

*:·゚✧*:·゚✧

READ #2 | MAY 2017
Omgggg this book has stolen my entire heart. I can't even. I love it more the second time and it's official: THIS IS MY VERY FAVOURITE SHADOWHUNTER BOOK OF THEM ALL. Which is saying something because I love all the Clare books!! My first review still stands true, but here's a smol list of things that really hit me in the reread:

• Mark Blackthorn is my absolute favourite feral fairy child of them all and I will cut down his enemies and feed him all the warm pretzels.
• MARK.
• MARRRRRRK
• I cannot even with how precious the Blackthorn boys are omg. Julian, who is an anxious father to his 4 little siblings. Mark, who's half in love with a fairy boy and half aching for his family. Ty, who is the most precious and relatable character of my life. Tavvy, who is TOO CUTE THO.
• Emma is badass and sassy and I LOVE HER.
• Christina is so precious tho.
• It's so so funny
• Listening to the audio was actually a problem because I SMILED LIKE A DERANGED BAT SO OFTEN I'm sure my family was wondering what even.
• most accurate and well-portrayed Autistic character of them all and my heart beats so much for this.
• BEST PLOT
• I LOVE ALL THE CHARACTERS.
• I'M SMITTEN.

***

1ST READ: APRIL 2016

The first thing you should know is that I am a permanent rabid Shadowhunter fangirl. EMPHASIS ON THE "RABID" BECAUSE BASICALLY THIS WORLD IS MY LOVE AND I SHALL ADORE EVERYTHING IN IT. Ergo I was doomed to love Lady Midnight. It sooooooo didn't disappoint.

So basically I'm about to fangirl ridiculously. #NOTEVENSORRY But at least I'll do it in list format so it can be deranged but sensibly organised.

L O V E S:

How incredibly awesome EVERYTHING IS.
*shrieks derrangedly* Okay okay I know that explains nothing, but duuuuude. What isn't perfect about this story?!?! It has everything a Shadowhunter book should have, but this time we're solving a very old murder mystery (the murder of Emma's parents). Plus there's cult stuff going down. Plus there's tons of subplots about "forbidden love". Plus Cassandra Clare's writing just keeps getting better and BETTER. (I loved her first book, but omgggg, I adore it even more now.) Plus everything was fresh and different and interesting despite being the...what?? About 12th Shadowhunter book?? THAT IS AMAZING THAT IS FREAKING AMAZING.

• Also I loved Emma and Julian a LOT.
They're parabanti but, hahhahahahhahaha...they love each other they so totally do. So cue angst and heartbreak. INCOMMMMMING. Emma narrates more than Julian, but I did prefer Julian just because he's really not a black-and-white character. Like he's so GOOD but he's also kind of devious. <3 But subtly so. Whereas Emma is very "let's SMITE THE THING" which is awesome and she was not shallow or boring at all; but she was more open. I did love how Emma was sassy but vulnerable. BUT SASSYYYYYY.

• And can we take a moment to love the BIG FAMILY aspect?!?
How many books do this? Like....not many at all ever. AND HERE WE HAVE AN EPIC FANTASY WITH A HUGE FOCUS ON BIG FAMILY LIFE. *shrieks again* I have a big family so I was like 99% disposed to adore this. So there are 5 Blackthorn children + 2 half fey children. Julian is only 17 but he has basically raised his 4 younger siblings since he was 12. ALONE. TOTALLY ALONE. (Julian precious darling child.) Also I never got the siblings mixed up. They have such distinct personalities. AND they weren't just dumped out of the story. tHEY WERE INVOLVED. They were ADORABLE. THEY ARE MY HEART.

• Which leads me to the amazing representation of Autism.
One of Julian's younger siblings (Ty) has Autism and it's like the most accurate representation I've seen in a LONG time. Omg. I'm so so happy. It's not stereotyped or cliche, there is more to Ty than his Autism, and he is loved and helped despite it. No one talks about curing him. No one talks about how his life would be better without the autism. Ty is awesome and capable and intelligent. IT LIKE ACTUALLY LITERALLY MAKES ME CRY HAPPY TEARS. THANK YOU CASSANDRA CLARE FOR WRITING THIS.

• Omggg. There is so much to love. SO MUCH.
I just...I'm having trouble being SANNNEEEEE. Ahem.

• I also loved the secondary characters, of course.
Cristina is from Mexico and she's pretty dang awesome. Mark is the estranged Blackthorn brother who's been kidnapped/tortured by fey for the last 5 years and he is completely tragic AND I LOVED HIM AND IS QUIET PSYCHOTIC SIDE. Also Malcolm, the resident warlock, continues to be entertaining. And Uncle Arthur was insane. And Church was there. The cat, I mean. Yay church.

• Also there ARE plenty of cameos from the other series!
Clary and Jace are mentioned several times and make an appearance at the end. Same with Jem and Tessa. And Magnus and Alec...(who are now (view spoiler)) and there's a TEENY TINY short story at the end about Isabelle and Simon's engagement party. So basically it ties everything in and is really sweet.

• But you COULD read Lady Midnight without having read the rest.
Just sayin'. It would be better if you at least read The Mortal Instruments though.

• I LAUGHED. I CRIED. I AM IN LOVE.
I need the next book asap.

D I S L I K E S:
(I thought I wouldn't have any, despite it being 5-stars!??!? But I kinda do...)

It is way to freaking long.
I'm kind of terrified because if this is book ONE and it's as big as the TMI finale...omg. #halp It didn't need to be this long, okay? It just didn't. And it hurt my hands to hold. And it did feel tedious at times because it was sooooo loooong.

• There was a whole villain monologue at the end which was so cliche!
I was just surprised! I mean, Emma was keeping The Villain talking so help could arrive but stiiiiill. Not a fan.

• I actually thought the stakes would be higher?
But it could just be because the last book I read EVERYBODY DIED so it was a little disorientating to have less chance of mortal destruction for all here. I mean, BLOOD WAS STILL SHED. YAY. (ahem.) But I was never worried for anyone particularly?

BASICALLY!? I LOVED IT AND IT IS FREAKING BRILLIANT.
It stole my heart and just made me laugh OUT LOUD several times and afjdlksad I AM RABID SHADOWHUNTER TRASH, THAT IS ALL. I adore the new characters and the big family and the "mystery solving" angle and the deviousness and the plot twists (OMG THE PLOT TWISTS!!!!) and I cannot wait for mooooooore.

*** QUOTES ****

He'd never seen a teenage girl this excited about anything -- not famous actors, not boy bands, not jewelry. This girl was practically vibrating to pieces over the idea of a dead body. (pg. 11)

"We are well known for our jests, japes, and ballads," the faerie said, clearly offended. "Some of our ballads last for weeks."
"I don't have that kind of time," Emma said. "I'm a Shadowhunter. Quip fast, die young."

As he tucked a fifty into his jeans, Emma noticed that he was wearing a gray T-shirt that said TMI on the front. "Too much information?" she said.
He brightened. "The Mortal Instruments. They're a band. From Brooklyn. You heard of them?"

Ty said nothing. His hands were still fluttering in their repetitive movements. There had been a time when Ty's father had tried to train him to immobility, had held his sons' hands tightly at his sides when he was upset and said, "Still, still". It had panicked Ty into throwing up. Julian never did that. He just said everyone got butterflies when they were nervous; some people got them in their stomaches, and Ty showed them in his hands. (pg. 142)

"Mark. Mark!" She waved the wallet over her head. "This is a clue. An actual clue. I think I love you."
Mark's eyebrows went up. "In faerie, if you said that, we would have to pledge our troth, and you might put a geas upon me that I would not stray from you or I would die."
Emma shoved the wallet in her pocket. "Well, here it's just an expression that means 'I like you very much' or even 'Thanks for the bloodstained wallet.'" (pg. 212)

"This is my domain." You've got your own hopeless humans in New York."
"One of those hopeless humans is the father of my child," Magnus pointed out.

It's not his fault if he doesn't understand everything. Or if things are too much for him. It's not his fault.

Julian had looked at his own inexact, messy work and Ty's methodical rows, and thought: We both see the same world, but in a different way. Ty feels the same joy I do, the joy of creation. We feel all the same things, only the shape of our feelings are different.

Emma giggled. "You told him Shadowhunters are DIY about their killing?"
"We're DIY about everything." (pg. 251)

"Why did you pull the arrow out?" she demanded...
Jule's breath was coming in harsh pants. "Because when someone -- shoots you with an arrow --" he gasps, "your immediate response is not -- 'thanks for the arrow, I think I'll keep it for a while'."
"Good to know your sense of humour is still intact."

"You're too skinny," she said as brightly as she could. "Too much coffee, not enough pancakes."
"I hope they put that on my tombstone."

"And why is Tavvy in a bag of sugar?"
Mark shrugged. "He wanted to be in a bag of sugar."
"That doesn't mean you should put him in a bag of sugar." Julian's voice rose.

"Why are all these paintings of you? Because I'm an artist, Emma. These pictures are my heart. And if my heart was a canvas, every square inch of it would be painted over with you."

"Well, either you've been out fighting the forces of evil or you've come from a much wilder party than we have," Jace said.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Midnight.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Cassandra Clare
“He bumped into a pay phone and said, 'Excuse me, miss,' on our way in," said Julian.

"It's polite to apologize," said Mark with the same small voice.

"Not to inanimate objects.”
Cassandra Clare, Lady Midnight

November 13, 2013 – Shelved
November 13, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
April 14, 2016 – Started Reading
April 14, 2016 –
page 100
14.33% ""He'd never seen a teenage girl this excited about anything -- not famous actors, not boy bands, not jewellery. This girl was practically vibrating to pieces over the idea of a dead body."\n \n SO I LIKE EMMA A LOT ALREADY."
page 230
32.95% "I have all sorts of sad and squished FEELINGS about poor tortured Mark. :'("
page 321
45.99% "The fact that Ty is autistic and not cliche or terribly written but like REALLY APPROPRIATELY AND LOVINGLY REPRESENTED...actually gives me life."
page 431
61.75% "Clave: You're forbidden to investigate these murders.\n Emma & Julian: DON'T TELL US HOW TO LIVE OUR LIVES. WE'RE GONNA DO IT ANYWAY.\n Clave: You're forbidden to fall in love.\n Emma & Julian: okay that makes sense i guess we won't\n \n ME: ARUGHRUGHRUGHRUGH"
page 510
73.07% ""You're too skinny. Too much coffee, not enough pancakes."\n "I hope they put that on my tombstone."\n \n Oooh, Emma/Julian have reached SASS LEVEL: JACE."
April 16, 2016 – Shelved as: 5-star
April 16, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
April 16, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
April 16, 2016 – Shelved as: paranormal
April 16, 2016 – Finished Reading
May 22, 2017 – Started Reading
May 22, 2017 –
page 20
2.87% "I'm re-reading this via audio in preparation for my Lord of Shadows.

Still lowkey peeved that Lord of Shadows does not match the title LADY MIDNIGHT.

HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME, QUEEN CLARE. EVERYTHING ELSE MATCHES SO WELL HELP."
May 22, 2017 –
page 50
7.16% "So Lord of Shadows just arrived and nOW I'M HUGELY DISTRACTED FROM MY REREAD.

No no, haha, I'm not freaking out. That wild rabid creature you see running rampant in the streets is someone...else."
May 23, 2017 –
20.0% "MARK.
MY FERAL FAIRY CHILD WHOM I LOVE SO MUCH."
May 27, 2017 –
80.0% "Mark: *breathes*
Me: I will protect you forever and do anything for you and if anyone hurts your smol precious heart I will smite them with the power of a thousand suns."
June 1, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
June 1, 2017 – Finished Reading
July 3, 2017 – Shelved as: reread
November 22, 2018 – Started Reading
November 22, 2018 –
page 120
16.67% "hello reread x 3 🤗i am back with our Slytherin anxious father-of-four Julian, cute ball of violent wildness Emma, and my autistic sons Ty and Mark, and our halfsized bucket of Herondale sass Kit

and am living again yes thank you"
November 28, 2018 –
page 285
41.42% "Julian: no I'm thru with trying to protect and baby everyone.
Julian: you can do what you want Mark
Mark: GOOD So I'm going to--
Julian: whatever but go the speed limit
Julian: make sure you've eaten and not too much sugar
Julian: take a jacket idk about the weather
Julian: also u have a curfew and u need a good night's sleep
Julian: But whatever, seriously. Do what you want. I don't care."
November 30, 2018 –
page 300
43.6% "Kit: I hate shadowhunters I'd kick them or stab them or
Ty: [exists]
Kit: oh
Ty: [threatens Kit with a knife]
Kit: tbh I don't mind now"
December 2, 2018 –
page 600
87.21% "how they all deal with emotions

Julian: conceal, don't feel
Emma: kick something, eat fast food
Mark: *throws self down the stairs* FAERIES ARE DRAMATIC THIS IS WHO I AM"
December 4, 2018 –
page 610
88.66% "Cristina: yes I call him Perfect Diego.
Emma: wow he is perfect
Livvy: sooo perfect
Dru: omg my heart
Mark: definitely sexy
[everyone looks at him]
Mark: ?? what?"
December 5, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
December 5, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

C.G. Drews Eeep, THANK YOU!! *flails wildly*

Finn Longman I'm reading this at the moment. Emma is cracking me up.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

AH I LOVED IT TOO

My review was also in list format and crazy long and I was basically yelling and swearing throughout the entire thing. Writing the review broke me. XD

BUT TWO QUESTIONS I HAVE (in a spoiler tag b/c, I don't spoil people): (view spoiler)

ALSO, I know Malec gets engaged in a short story, one of the ones from Shadowhunter Academy, and I have no idea why they're not married yet. Maybe their wedding will be the party the cast of characters always go to at the very end of the trilogy to have the super long trademark epilogue. XD

AND HOW EXCITED ARE YOU FOR THE LAST HOURS TRILOGY EEP

(I apologize for the long, fangirl-y comment.)

C.G. Drews @Miriam: Emma is ALL sorts of awesome. :')

C.G. Drews @Mikaela: Omg never apologise for long fangirly comments! THEY ARE MY FAVOURITE.

Okay to answer your spoilers --> (view spoiler)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

That's exactly what I was thinking, the next book is going to be an angsty, terrible mess, and I will probably love it. XD

And I did!!! I outlandishly speculated that she was pregnant, but that is most likely wrong. XD I mean, that's crazy, right? I have no idea why she hesitated. I'm surprised that they're the last couple to get engaged, too.

Rhiannon After reading this review I have to read Lady Midnight ASAP :D

message 8: by Chelsea (last edited Apr 16, 2016 07:58AM) (new) - added it

Chelsea Wonderful review! Cassandra Clare wrote a whole collection of shorts stories about Simon's time at the Shadowhunter Academy before his as ascension, and one of them is all about Malec and their adopted son and also answers why they aren't married yet.

C.G. Drews @Rhi: YES YOU DO!!

@Octavia: Omg I so need to read the Shadowhunter Academy. Do you know if it's out in paperback yet? I'm kind of waiting for that... XD

message 10: by Chelsea (new) - added it

Chelsea It comes out in hardcover in November, I think, they're only out as novellas now. I was going to wait for it as well, but a friend convinced me to read it before Lady Midnight, and I'm so glad I did because there's a ton of set up as well as follow up to TMI!

helen❣️ I AGREE WITH ALL OF THESE POINTS! Except I didn't like how there was a definite point where the novel could've been ended and kept as a stand-alone - then the Mark/Kieran argument came, the Kit Rook thing, the Cristina/Diego/Mark thing, and the forbidden love thing (view spoiler), etc. Oh well. What would we do without a sequel?

Marija OMG I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR YOUR OPINION ON LORD OF SHADOWS. OMG. YOUR LADY MIDNIGHT REVIEW IS AMAZING. sorry for screaming

Libby OMG I reread this a few weeks ago and what really got me was how Julian called them all his children and now I'm really nervous for Lord of Shadows - you know something's going to go wrong! Great review :)

C.R.R. Hillin That arrow part was pretty intense, I loved it.

Melissa ~ Missy (FrayedBooks) I have a lot of feelings about Mark too. MOSTLY HE MUST BE PROTECTED IN QOAAD. OR I WILL FIGHT SOMEONE.

message 17: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews IF ANY HARM COMES TO MARK, I WILL LITERALLY RUN AWAY AND NE'ER RETURN I CAN'T HANDLE IT

Kisses A Omg i am reading Qoaad and Mark is still my absolute favorite. Im rooting for him and Kieran so bad