SOS Aloha's Reviews > Daughter of the God-King

Daughter of the God-King by Anne Cleeland

Nov 13, 2013

Egypt is not a country we live in but a country that lives within us. - Pope Shenouda III, 117th Pope of Alexandria & Patriarch of the See of St. Mark.

I have a soft spot for Egypt – I grew up fascinated with King Tut. Anne Cleeland hits that spot and scores a bull’s eye with DAUGHTER OF THE GOD KING:

1. Cleeland creates a fast paced action adventure with a dash of romance ala Indiana Jones. I could not put this book down!

2. Her vivid descriptions transported me back to the Nile Cruise I enjoyed in 2004. I commend Cleeland for her detailed research that delivers the feeling that Egypt lives within us.

3. Regency’s pageantry shines through the chaos of Cairo. The heroine, Hattie, may be named for Hathor, the daughter of the God King. But she is a lady through and through as she demonstrates her gently bred manners while fighting off nefarious villains.

4. Cleeland intertwines witty dialogue with heartfelt moments to soften the edges of the violence that follows Hattie as she uncovers dark secrets.

5. Once the dark secrets are revealed, I recalled the “crumbs” in the plot that Cleeland left for Hattie to follow to Egypt. To which I reply, well done, Ms. Cleeland, well done.

DAUGHTER OF THE GOD KING easily makes the list of my top 13 novels of 2013. Recommended read for fans of Regency romance, action adventure, and mysteries of a lost civilization.

I received a print copy from the publisher for this review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the God-King.

Finished Reading