Laura's Reviews > Children of the Mind

Children of the Mind by Orson Scott Card

bookshelves: favorites, science-fiction, fantasy, ya

I know I said I would be tougher with my ratings but it doesn't seem like I'm reading any books that deserve less than 4 stars! Lucky me!

The Ender's Game series is one of the densest book series I've ever read. It was like a stuffed sandwich. It was simply crammed full of tomatoes, cheese, lettuce, and bacon. In other words, it was full of philosophical stuff that made me wonder just how much of the series Orson Scott Card planned out. It was either planned to the very last detail or everything seemed to fall into place like it was meant to be - I can't decide. I know this sounds so cheesy but it just seemed right. It wasn't forced and although the flow was a little slower than any other book I'd read, it was so dense it made it up to me.

That is one of the things I want to warn you about. If you like a fast/easy read, this might not be the best book to read on a whim. It took me quite a long time to read this and digest it. To understand it. It's puzzling, sometimes frustrating, rewarding, but above all, it opened my mind to so many possibilities which is something I value deeply in a book.

There is one more thing I feel as though I should alert you to. As I progressed through this series, I noticed that while clearly, the author tried to make it emotional, the depth sometimes gets in the way of that which didn't enable me to feel true joy or sorrow at any of the events that came to pass. It was philosophical and nothing else. This is the kind of book (and the type of series) I would read if I want to learn more about myself and the human race in general. The author offered so many insights into our way of life and what it could be like in the future it was almost uncanny. Orson Scott Card is truly a brilliant author in my eyes.

So overall, a 5 star book! Just be cautions if you're looking for a fast and easy read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of the Mind.

November 13, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read