Laura's Reviews > Xenocide

Xenocide by Orson Scott Card

bookshelves: favorites, fantasy, ya, science-fiction

Finally I finished!! Yes!!! *does happy dance around room while holding book in outstretched hands* This took me FOREVER to read, not because it was boring but because it was so dang deep. Like you throw a rock down a hole and you never hear it hit the bottom it's so deep. One can take this book a number of different ways.

1. Yay! It's a space adventure! (view spoiler)

2. So. Boring. All they did was talk philosophy with no action man! What happened to the battles of the first book??

3. So. Incredible. Deep. I'm drowning in the deepness and the awesomeness.

You can probably guess from my intro that I took option 3. This is a great example of a book that has ebb's and flow's. Some parts, I needed to read 50 pages at a time it was so excited and I could barely put it down to eat. Others, I read 10 pages before falling asleep. Now. Some of you might say, 'that's terrible writing right there because it couldn't keep you reading!' Well I have an answer to that. Is reality always exciting? No. Is hard work and research always met with immediate results? Definitely not. But this is still far from reality. Orson Scott Card took society's reality and placed it in the future. Humans are still humans, but fast-forward a 100 years so... and you have Xenocide!

Now the reason I'm giving it 4.5 stars is because while I understand and like the concept of inserting reality into a future situation, doesn't mean that I can't fall prey to the boredom. Sometimes, I couldn't help it if I found it nearly impossible to go on and to read another exciting book instead. So if you read this, be warned. If you stay strong, stick with it, and dig deep to understand, you'll love it. This is definitely not light reading material!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Xenocide.

November 13, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
February 24, 2014 –
page 394
February 25, 2014 –
page 438
73.99% "This is due in 4 days! Must finish!!"
February 26, 2014 –