Margaret's Reviews > The Associate

F 50x66
Nov 01, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: thriller-mystery-suspense

John Grisham's books have what I think of as Good Bones: Not a lot of flash in the writing (well, no flash), but he strings a good plot together and sketches out details, in his no flash method, that really do put you right in the action. I admire this about his writing. Plus, having worked for a big firm, post-law school, I love to read about what I escaped (shivers). His endings are becoming rather odd, though. The last Grisham book I read ended badly - the bad guys came out on top. This one just sort of ends, abruptly. Admittedly, there are enough words and pages to make an entire novel; however, when I got to the end, I had the feeling that he'd simply lost interest. That or he didn't know how to end the story. So, not entirely satisfying overall. However, the ride is fun, and revisiting the halls of Big Firm-dom is always fun with Mr. Grisham.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Associate.

Juliegsorensen Margaret, I felt the same way about it. I loved the book until the ending. Quite a page-turner. It was almost as if Grisham had run out of time from his publisher and had to just end it. Too bad - could have been as big a hit as 'The Firm'.

Margaret Juliegsorensen wrote: "Margaret, I felt the same way about it. I loved the book until the ending. Quite a page-turner. It was almost as if Grisham had run out of time from his publisher and had to just end it. Too bad ..."

I agree - a real page turner, but strange ending. I have "The Broker" on my "To Read" shelf at home and so will try that next on my Grisham list. Best, MP