(NS) Maria's Reviews > The Other Side

The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson

Nov 01, 2009

bookshelves: historical-fiction

This story was during the civil rights movement. It is about a young African American girl who is not supposed to play on the other side. The reason why she can’t' play on the other side of the fence is because a white girl lives on that side. The two children begin to meet on the opposite sides of the fence. They begin to talk to each other as they sit on top of the fence because they are not allowed to cross over it.

I thought it was a great story about the power of friendship. The girls didn't let the fence divide their worlds. They used the fence as a place to come together. They stood up for what they believed was a true friendship that is strong than race. It's a great story to learn about accepting people that are "different." I would highly recommend this story! I would use this book in the classroom to have discussion about differences and how we can overcome differences. I would also have discussion questions. Here are some questions that I would have if I taught an intermediate grade.

Why did Clover’s mother warn her not to climb over the fence?

How did Clover and Annie work out a way around this racial barrier?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Side.

(NS) - Heather Hayman Hi Maria! This is a fantastic read. It is a great depiction of what life was like when color mattered. I am going to start reading it to my class every year to bring up discussion about segregation. I am even thinking about adding it to my classroom library.

message 2: by NS-Christine (new)

NS-Christine Johnson I love this book as well, and it is a great discussion starter for younger students! It brings up a topic that can be very difficult to understand, in a way students can relate to.