Laura's Reviews > Phoenix

Phoenix by Elizabeth  Richards

liked it
bookshelves: dystopias, science-fiction, ya, romance, fantasy, vampires

This book had several things that irked me but the main plot/idea was amazing and kept me entranced in the book for hours. There were mainly two things that got on my nerves. It may seem harsh to dock two stars for that but, like in my review of the first book, Black City, those two things are present throughout the book.

The first thing is the entire lack of emotional connections with the characters. For example, when Polly (view spoiler), I didn't feel anything at all. (view spoiler) I was slightly more affected when Natalie discovers she has (view spoiler) and when she informs Ash. Overall though, I just didn't feel anything. I'm an emotional reader. I like to... be one with the characters and the book overall. Ms. Richards just doesn't satisfy that need for me as a reader.

The second thing is how confusing everything was and the way it was paced. I had to read some passages five times before I at least sort of understood what was being said. A map or something of the territories would have been a great help as this book deals a lot with the geography of the nation and where certain areas/landmarks are.

Now the fun part! The plot line was just beautifully done in my opinion. It had perfect ups and downs and was complicated enough that I didn't feel like I was reading a children's book with one plot line with four characters. The romance and tension later in the book was perfect and was so real sounding as to how someone would react. The extra love interests for Ash and Natalie really made things interesting! I loved finally getting to take part in the rebellion and not just hear talk of it like in the first book.

This book is a transitional novel in the trilogy (It is a trilogy right...?) and generally, those are my least favorite books in the trilogy. However, this book is right up there despite my three star rating. Keep in mind that I just finished this and haven't really thought it through yet... Maybe an update later?

So three stars for having an amazing plot line and romantic complications, lack of emotional attachments, and my own confusion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Phoenix.

November 13, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read