Anne's Reviews > Impostor

Impostor by Susanne Winnacker

1720620

liked it
bookshelves: arc, netgalley, nook, paranormal, read-in-2013, sci-fi, young-adult

Also reviewed for Addicted2Heroines

There's lots of comparisons to the X-men in the reviews that others have written on this, and it's easy to see why. You have (basically) a school for children with mutations, only it's run by a shadow agency in the government instead of Professor X. These kids are trained to go out on missions to uncover crimes committed by other 'evil' mutants...er, Variants.
So. Yeah, I can see the X-man angle.

Tessa's mutation allows her to absorb anyone's genetic code and turn herself into an exact replica of them.
Hello, my name's Mystique, and I'll be your server this evening. Would you like to order an appetizer first?
Tessa's variation makes her the perfect agent to take on the latest assignment. Someone is killing girls in a small town, and it looks like another Variant might be the culprit. His last victim is in a coma, and the doctors have said there's no way she's going to pull through. The plan is simple. Tessa absorbs her DNA while she is still alive, and when she dies, the agency will replace her with Tessa. Family and friends will believe that their prayers have been answered, and Tessa will be in place as the perfect undercover agent.

Tessa is a believable teen who struggles with the morality of pretending to be a dead girl. She feels horrible that this wonderful family is eventually going to be crushed when they find out that their daughter never really made a miraculous recovery. Yet, she understands that in order to catch the girl's killer, she has to continue with the charade.
It's deep stuff, man...

I'm gonna be honest, I didn't care much for the romance in this. For some reason, it just never interested me.
The short version is that she's in love with another Variant in the agency.
Looking back on it, I think I fell for a few mutants when I was younger, too.
He's not much older than her, but he's a full agent, and they really aren't supposed to be fraternizing.
Oh. And he also has a girlfriend. A really really mean girlfriend.
There's a lot of longing glances from her, and a lot of mixed messages from him. So, not my favorite part of the story.

This is one of those books that (even though it was good) didn't leave a lasting impression on me. I have a feeling that it will do well with the audience it is intended for, but it's not going to be one of those crossovers that grabs the attention of adult readers as well.
Maybe I'm wrong?
I'll definitely recommend it to the kids in the neighborhood, though.

Thanks to NetGally for a digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Impostor.

November 13, 2013 – Started Reading
November 13, 2013 – Shelved
November 25, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Sesana (new)

Sesana And he also has a girlfriend. A really really mean girlfriend.

OF COURSE HE DOES. Because if he didn't have a girlfriend, it wouldn't be as dramatic. And if the girlfriend were nice, our heroine might have to feel bad about flirting with somebody else's boyfriend.

Anne I know! It's fine for younger audiences who want everything black and white, but it's one of the reasons I don't think older readers will enjoy it as much.

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike Anne, what proportion of these books would you say either imply or actively encourage stealing someone's boyfriend with the rationale that the then-current girlfriend isn't right for him (or isn't fated to be with him, or is in a coma, or is secretly possessed by a demon)?

Anne I'd say 50%, Mike. I'd say the 'isn't fated' thing is probably the biggest reason. Although demon possession is a big one too! lol!

message 5: by Sesana (new)

Sesana There's also that horrible Taylor Swift song. I guess it's wish fulfillment for the teen with a painfully unrequited crush.

Anne You nailed it, Sesana! It's totally a tween/teen thing. Once you get older, you (hopefully) realize that if that guy (or girl) really wanted to be with you and not the other person...they would already be with you. 'They're just not into you'.

Miriam It's probably most appealing when you're too young to have actually dated someone. Once you've been cheated on it (hopefully) loses its appeal.