Kate's Reviews > Unfaithful Mind

Unfaithful Mind by Marion Gibson

Nov 13, 2013

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction

I wouldn't feel comfortable beginning this review without first thanking Marion and John Gibson for sharing their story. I hope in the not too distant future that we as a society find it common place to talk about mental illness more often than just when tragedy strikes and a haphazard link between it and mental illness is tossed out by the media. Indeed I'd love it if we could find another term than "mental illness" to use when referencing schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and clinical depression. Because the term "mental illness" falsely differentiates these conditions from so-called "physical" ones as if the causes of the former are any less organic than the latter.

I thought the last few chapters effectively summarised circumstances that many people who suffer from mental illness can relate to, as well as their loved ones, and the author conveys the most important message of the story, which is that mental illness is not uncommon, it's not a character flaw, and society continues to stigmatise illnesses that could benefit the most from the support of others. I wish this chapter had been at the beginning of the book because unfortunately I fear some people who need to hear that message the most will not read to the end of the book. I particularly liked the passage at the end by the psychiatrist.

This story doesn't reflect well on the Canadian healthcare system clearly, but hopefully it can be a catalyst for change.

I would recommend this book to anyone suffering from a mental illness, particularly those seeking to learn more about schizophrenia, but quite frankly I'd recommend it to everyone because the mentally ill deserve to be acknowledged in the same way sufferers of other diseases are. And right now society by and large does choose to ignore its existence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unfaithful Mind.

November 13, 2013 – Started Reading