Chelsea (Starbucks & Books Obsession)'s Reviews > Definitely, Maybe in Love

Definitely, Maybe in Love by Ophelia London

bookshelves: blog-tour, arc

I really adored this book and had a lot of fun reading it. I’ll admit that it has been a very long time since I’ve read Pride & Prejudice but I really love it when classics are modernized because I’m not much of a classic reader myself. This book had all the elements that make a great story for me and it was definitely a book that got better with each page.

Spring is a really fun character and I liked her a lot. She truly cares about the environment and she has a passion for her beliefs. I liked that she was genuine and it was important to her that people recognized that. She is definitely going through a period in her life where she truly wants to find herself and she has changed herself in the last year when doing this. I think sometimes she may have been a bit stubborn and one-sided in her opinions but she stuck to her guns and never conformed for anyone.

Henry is rich, pompous and has the opposite beliefs as Spring. His family is wealthy from land development and this is the entire topic of Spring’s thesis and how harmful it is for the environment so you can see where the tension may come from. However, where there’s tension there is often passion and Spring and Henry have that. Of course their first encounter is less than pleasant and I was not a fan of Henry. I found him to be arrogant and judgmental. Spring handled him like a pro and that definitely intrigued Henry. When he offered to help Spring, I saw a softer side of Henry and he started to grow on me. Honestly, by the end, I was kind of in love with him. I really didn’t see that one coming.

You know they say opposites attract and Henry and Spring are definitely a prime example of that. While they shared a different viewpoint on the topic that brought them together, they found this passion and attraction while arguing with each other and it made life interesting. They opened one another’s eyes and both found middle ground on their beliefs. Poor decisions and snap judgments were made on both sides and the moment when Henry professed his love to Spring left me breathless. It was like 1:00 AM on a work night and I struggled to put the book down to go to bed. Henry and Spring weathered so many obstacles and I think they learned a little with each one they overcame. I absolutely loved the little changes that they made for each other without ever having to ask. They didn’t change because they had too, they changed because they wanted to and that was the most beautiful thing.

This book had some great side characters, especially Spring’s best friend, Mel. She know Spring better than anyone and she isn’t afraid to speak her mind and call Spring out when necessary. However, she is always there for her and supporting her when she needs her most. Dart is Henry’s best friend and he is definitely a good guy from the beginning. He makes a decision that had me questioning his character but it was caused by a series of misunderstandings and in the end he proved to be the guy I thought he was from the get go. He truly cares about Julia, Spring’s roommate and Julia is a sweet girl. She is really hurt by Dart’s decisions and I felt so sad for her as she struggled to deal with things. Dart’s sister, Lilah, on the other hand is the snooty villain of this story and I did not like her one bit. She is always putting Spring down and trying to humiliate her. Fortunately and much to my liking, Spring doesn’t go down without a fight and she definitely puts Lilah in her place.

Overall, this was a sweet contemporary romance that was well written and such a divine read. The author continuously surprised me with the story line and I never quite expected what would happen between Spring and Trey. The characters were well developed and I connected with them so easily. It’s saying something about the author when I dislike a character in the beginning and have done a complete 360 with them by the end.

*An eARC was provided to me in exchange for a fair and honest review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Definitely, Maybe in Love.

November 12, 2013 – Started Reading