Dani's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

bookshelves: young-adult, romance, realism, fiction, favourites

Beautifully painful. That's the best description of this book.

Before I have read this, I had finished a read with teary eyes, but I can say that this mischievous giant was the first book to get a grand amount of tears out of them.

First, what caught my attention from the beggining was that John Green wrote a story from a girl's POV. I don't remember another male writer to do so. Second, I love the name Augustus with passion. When I was little, I had a doll of a little boy dressed in blue strippes called like that. It was my favourite doll ever.

Another thing was that I absolutely love the irony in Augustus and Hazel's voices. Those kids, sick to the bones, what can be worse? I'm sure nothing would shock them, that they would find humour in the most dark places.

Green created very strong characters and an inusual story. At 24% of it, I thought I knew how it was going to end but I was wrong. (view spoiler)

I'm a sucker for sad stories, but I wasn't sure I'd love this book until I read a few pages, and I immediately changed my mind. Everyone should reads this.

Now leave me alone, looking for another sad story to keep crying.
1 like · flag

November 12, 2013 – Started Reading
November 12, 2013 – Shelved
November 12, 2013 –
5.0% "Surprisingly good."
November 13, 2013 –
11.0% ""(...)True Love Is Born from Hard Times promised a needlepointed pillow in their antique-furnished living room...""
November 13, 2013 –
13.0% ""(...)We watched the movie with several inches of couch between us. I did the totally middle-schooly thing wherein I put my hand on the couch about halfway between us to let him know that it was okay to hold it, but he didn’t try...""
November 13, 2013 –
20.0% ""(...)“Pain demands to be felt”...""
November 14, 2013 –
24.0% "I think I already know how this is going to end."
November 14, 2013 –
27.0% ""(...)“Oh, my God,” Augustus said. “I can’t believe I have a crush on a girl with such cliché wishes”...""
November 14, 2013 –
30.0% "Oh, yeah! Of course he is going to do it! :D"
November 15, 2013 –
47.0% ""(...)You’re arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that’s a lie, and you know it”...""
November 15, 2013 –
50.0% ""(...)and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we’re all doomed...""
November 15, 2013 –
53.0% ""(...)we have bottled all the stars this evening...""
November 16, 2013 –
November 16, 2013 –
80.0% "This is so sad D:"
94.0% "Last chapter..."
November 17, 2013 –
96.0% ""(...)and it occurred to me that the voracious ambition of humans is never sated by dreams coming true, because there is always the thought that everything might be done better and again...""
November 17, 2013 –
100.0% "So beautiful it hurts immensely"
November 17, 2013 – Shelved as: young-adult
November 17, 2013 – Shelved as: romance
November 17, 2013 – Shelved as: realism
November 17, 2013 – Shelved as: fiction
November 17, 2013 – Shelved as: favourites
November 17, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved this too, but in a sadistic kind of way: I simply adored the black humor!

Dani I love black humour, too. Many of the books I love have this dark yet sympathetic tone. I think it's a great challenge for an author to achieve a prose with the right amount of irony and humour without making his book overburden or comic.