Lisa Eskra's Reviews > Whiskey Sour

Whiskey Sour by J.A. Konrath

Oct 31, 2009

Read in January, 2010

I'll begin by saying I thought this was a darn good book. I spent a lot of time comparing it to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Whiskey Sour didn't pretend to be anything more that it was, an entertaining mystery, with basically no filler to weigh it down.

The good:

The characterization of the protagonist is exceptional, keeping in mind that this is a male author portraying a female character. While Lisbeth Salander was unique, Jack Daniels is REAL. I can believe someone with 20+ years of police experience would have the know-how to take down criminals (as opposed to Lisbeth, who's a bi-curious Superwoman and Blomkvist, whose only real skills are seducing women and common sense). Which brings me to the villain. Again, well done. He's so twisted and psycho. Loved it.

The dialogue in the book as really sharp. Witty...almost too witty. Jack seems to have a snappy comeback for everything. Fun to read but not realistic. But the book was meant to entertain, not be a gritty, realistic portrayal of cop life (though I do in some ways feel it achieved that too).

I thought Konrath really nailed using character description to convey personality traits. Very little telling in the book in that sense. Unobtrusive. Even in describing Jack's past, it's kept short and sweet. It works so much better than boring multi-page accounts because it's not diluted by unnecessary details.

The bad:

A few "patronizing the reader" moments that annoyed me. I thought her partner, Herb Benedict, was awfully two-dimensional for the amount of time he appears in the story (even her ex-partner has more depth, seriously). The book did a better job than The Time Traveler's Wife in its portrayal of Chicago but still could've been better methinks. Personally, the climax was a bit of a letdown. All the loose ends were tied up too nicely.

Overall: fun read. Four stars. Once I whittle down my to-read stack, I'll definitely grab the next in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whiskey Sour.