Nick Pageant's Reviews > Call Me by Your Name

Call Me by Your Name by André Aciman

Nov 11, 2013

bookshelves: giulio-books, favorite-rereadable, gay-lit, mishmoshbgosh, pretentious-as-fuck

One last update to say I saw the movie! I have been verbally spanked on GR before for reviewing movies so I won't go on and on, but I will say that it's a truly beautiful film. It's perfectly done and captures the book in a way I didn't think possible. All the actors were wonderful, but Armie Hammer stole the show for me. Kudos to whoever thought to cast him because he IS Oliver. It's a sweet, sad, hopeful, film that I hope everyone gets to see. Now I'm going to go eat a few peaches.

Updating again to say that I just finished listening to the audio version narrated by Armie Hammer. There are not enough superlatives in my very limited vocabulary for this thing. It's full of eroticism and regret in equal measure. Armie Hammer never missteps and I had myself an eargasm.

I've put off writing this review for far too long because I'm afraid I won't do the book justice. I want to write a review that makes everyone drop what they're doing and start reading Call Me by Your Name immediately.
Reading the other reviews, I find a lot of polarization about Aciman's writing style, which I loved. Some people find him pretentious, while others find his prose bordering on poetic. I definitely fall in the latter category.
Most books are read for a good story and I understand that, but other books, like this one, are read for the enjoyment of language. What I mean by that is that a great many of the sentences in this book can be read and enjoyed all on their own because they're so beautifully written. Aciman has obviously labored over his phrasing to the point that I found myself often stopping to reread a sentence a few times and just luxuriate in the warm bath of words.
The story itself is great because it really has the ring of truth. The characters in this book are far from perfect and sometimes infuriating. I won't discuss plot other than to say that it is bittersweet and just real. I think any gay man will see his young self in the protagonist.
So, in summary, read this book!

Updating to say Armie Hammer is playing Oliver in the movie. I highly approve!

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Call Me by Your Name.

Quotes Nick Liked

André Aciman
“I'm like you,' he said. 'I remember everything.'

I stopped for a second. If you remember everything, I wanted to say, and if you are really like me, then before you leave tomorrow, or when you’re just ready to shut the door of the taxi and have already said goodbye to everyone else and there’s not a thing left to say in this life, then, just this once, turn to me, even in jest, or as an afterthought, which would have meant everything to me when we were together, and, as you did back then, look me in the face, hold my gaze, and call me by your name”

André Aciman
“If I could have him like this in my dreams every night of my life, I'd stake my entire life on dreams and be done with the rest.”

André Aciman
“I suddenly realized that we were on borrowed time, that time is always borrowed, and that the lending agency exacts its premium precisely when we are least prepared to pay and need to borrow more...”

André Aciman
“At one hundred, surely you learn to overcome loss and grief—or do they hound you till the bitter end?”

André Aciman
“We rip out so much of ourselves to be cured of things faster than we should that we go bankrupt by the age of thirty and have less to offer each time we start with someone new. But to feel nothing so as not to feel anything - what a waste!”

André Aciman
“And on that evening when we grow older still we'll speak about these two young men as though they were two strangers we met on the train and whom we admire and want to help along. And we'll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

André Aciman
“If there is any truth in the world, it lies when I'm with you, and if I find the courage to speak my truth to you one day, remind me to light a candle in thanksgiving at every altar in Rome.”

André Aciman
“Is it better to speak or die?”

André Aciman
“He came. He left. Nothing else had changed. I had not changed. The world hadn't changed. Yet nothing would be the same. All that remains is dreammaking and strange remembrance.”

André Aciman
“We had the stars, you and I. And this is given once only.”

André Aciman
“Twenty years was yesterday, and yesterday was just earlier this morning, and morning seemed light-years away.”

November 11, 2013 – Shelved
June 21, 2014 – Started Reading
June 22, 2014 – Finished Reading
November 26, 2014 –
0.0% "Yes, I'm rereading it with my personal peach, Mishy!"
November 27, 2014 –
1.0% "I could grow to like him, though. From rounded chin to rounded heel. Then, within days, I would learn to hate him.\n \n description"
November 27, 2014 –
November 29, 2014 –
November 30, 2014 –
26.0% ""Is it better to speak or die?""
December 16, 2014 –
September 11, 2016 – Shelved as: favorite-rereadable
September 11, 2016 – Shelved as: gay-lit
September 11, 2016 – Shelved as: mishmoshbgosh
February 13, 2017 – Shelved as: pretentious-as-fuck

message 1: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Sold. Will add.

You are not healthy for my tbr Nick :)

Giulio Awesome review, Nick. I read it twice and still can't find the right words to describe how much this book affected me.

Nick Pageant Giulio wrote: "Awesome review, Nick. I read it twice and still can't find the right words to describe how much this book affected me."

Thank you, Giulio. This is one of the books that I keep coming back to over and over again. It's just beautiful and truly great.

Nick Pageant Sofia wrote: "Sold. Will add.

You are not healthy for my tbr Nick :)"

I hope you love it as much as I did, Sofia.

message 5: by Isabel (new) - added it

Isabel Great review Nick! I just added it and it sounds really good!

Nick Pageant Isabel wrote: "Great review Nick! I just added it and it sounds really good!"

Thanks, Isabel. I hope you enjoy it. :)

message 7: by Kat ☠ (new)

Kat ☠ *sneaks in to leave a present*

*sneaks back out*

Nick Pageant Kat Wants To Be A Glitter Pirate wrote: "*sneaks in to leave a present*

"

Awww, yeah!

message 9: by Teri (new) - added it

Teri Exceptional review Nick, added!

Marte - Thunderella Beautiful review, hon! :)

Britta ★ Nachteule ★ Lovely review, Nick!

♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣ Wonderful review, Nick. I'm totally curious and am also a bigtime sucker for language over which you can tell has been lovingly labored.

message 13: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Pageant Irish Smurfette wrote: "Wonderful review, Nick. I'm totally curious and am also a bigtime sucker for language over which you can tell has been lovingly labored."

I would give this one a try. The prose is some of the best I've read.

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion You sold me with the updates, but now I have to read it! Beautiful review.

message 15: by Kat ☠ (new)

Kat ☠ I finished this, what, a little over two weeks ago? and I'm still trying to process it. I've realised what probably upset me the most (view spoiler) That crushed me.

message 16: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Pageant Kat Wants To Be A Glitter Pirate wrote: "I finished this, what, a little over two weeks ago? and I'm still trying to process it. I've realised what probably upset me the most [spoilers removed] That crushed me."

The message on the back of the picture was enough for me. Shit, I'm going to cry again.

message 17: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya Nick wrote: "Kat Wants To Be A Glitter Pirate wrote: "I finished this, what, a little over two weeks ago? and I'm still trying to process it. I've realised what probably upset me the most [spoilers removed] Th..."

I agree about the message. Plus it was Oliver who said (view spoiler). But didn't you guys love that (view spoiler). Or I may be trying to see too much into it.

Edited to hide spoilers.

message 18: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Pageant Maya wrote: "Nick wrote: "Kat Wants To Be A Glitter Pirate wrote: "I finished this, what, a little over two weeks ago? and I'm still trying to process it. I've realised what probably upset me the most [spoiler..."

We read it the same way, Maya.

message 19: by Kat ☠ (new)

Kat ☠ Don't remind me of the picture. :-(

And, Maya, I read it the same way, too. I find it hard to believe that it was merely a coincidence.

message 20: by * Meli Mel * (new) - added it

* Meli Mel * Wonderful review, Nick!! ;)

Marcie Exactly *sniff* Beautiful review, Nick!

message 22: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Pageant Marcie wrote: "Exactly *sniff* Beautiful review, Nick!"

Marcie Nick wrote: "Marcie wrote: "Exactly *sniff* Beautiful review, Nick!"

I'm a little embarrassed about that last paragraph because it sounds so corny, but I meant it, so it shall stay. *HUGS*"

pfft boy, you are talking to the most sappiest person evah! i love your last paragraph! and it's not corny it's the truth. *HUGS*

message 24: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Pageant Marcie wrote: "Nick wrote: "Marcie wrote: "Exactly *sniff* Beautiful review, Nick!"

pfft ..."

This has been an incredibly emotional day for me, so I'm glad to know there are other saps in the world.

Irina Nick, if not for your review, I wouldn't have ventured into this story any time soon. Thank you, darling! It made me hurt but it was wonderful! x

message 26: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Pageant Irina wrote: "Nick, if not for your review, I wouldn't have ventured into this story any time soon. Thank you, darling! It made me hurt but it was wonderful! x"

Thank you, Irina! It's not an easy book, but it is a very rewarding one.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) SOLD! I love May/December romance stories - even when they are done BADLY. This one is well written???? Bonus ; )

Loederkoningin Looks like I need to bump this one up!

message 29: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Pageant Loederkoningin wrote: "Looks like I need to bump this one up!"

I hope you like it!

message 30: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Pageant Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "SOLD! I love May/December romance stories - even when they are done BADLY. This one is well written???? Bonus ; )"

There is really only a slight difference in age here. Maybe 5 years at most. It's a great book, though.

message 31: by ~Kristin~ (new)

~Kristin~ Wonderful review Nick!

message 32: by Chocalicious (new) - added it

Chocalicious Love Wow. What a review. Now I definitely want to read it. Thanks. :-)

message 33: by Rick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rick So wonderfully written. Thank you for this. I struggled with my own review for the same reason; ultimately deciding to keep it short. Your assessment is perfect.

message 34: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Pageant Rick wrote: "So wonderfully written. Thank you for this. I struggled with my own review for the same reason; ultimately deciding to keep it short. Your assessment is perfect."

Thanks, Rick. This book has never left me and never will.

Laxmama Amazing review! I have been attempting for days to put together to say about this brilliant book. Although I am utterly destroyed from it - I loved it.

makiyah and samiyah Call me by your names

message 37: by ☆ Todd (new) - added it

☆ Todd There's a movie clip floating around for the film adaptation now. ;- )

message 38: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Pageant ☆ Todd wrote: "There's a movie clip floating around for the film adaptation now. ;- )"

message 39: by ☆ Todd (last edited Feb 13, 2017 08:52PM) (new) - added it

☆ Todd Nick wrote: "☆ Todd wrote: "There's a movie clip floating around for the film adaptation now. ;- )"

Yep. I've watched it about thirty times. So excited. And... why the hell haven't you read this?!"

Bittersweet? :- ?

Plus, if it's what I consider 'flowery' (I'm not a huge fan of poetry, *sigh*), then I'd probably rant and rant for days. Especially without throwing me an HEA bone.

But I'm considering it. heh

message 40: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Pageant ☆ Todd wrote: "Nick wrote: "☆ Todd wrote: "There's a movie clip floating around for the film adaptation now. ;- )"

Yep. I've watched it about thirty times. So excited. And... why the hell haven't you read this?!..."

message 41: by ☆ Todd (new) - added it

☆ Todd Nick wrote: "It is most definitely flowery and the ending caused me to up my meds temporarily."

Yeaaaaaah, maybe not for me then. I can *occasionally* read a Suki Fleet story, but it's not very often that I enjoy it.

Pavellit Off One of my favorite all time book. I can't wait to see the movie, though I don't expect to be so moving as the book. And by the way I'm more than curious about the way they adapted of the Peach scene if they did at all.

message 43: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Pageant Pavellit wrote: "One of my favorite all time book. I can't wait to see the movie, though I don't expect to be so moving as the book. And by the way I'm more than curious about the way they adapted of the Peach scen..."

I don't think the movie will be able to touch the book - but I'm very excited all the same. I've read everything I can find about the movie and, yes, the peach scene is included. That should be very interesting.

Annery OMG yes Nick! Armie Hammer *claps* Also it has gotten very good reviews from Sundance and it's the same guy who directed Tilda Swinton in that swoonfest "I Am Love" Luca Guadagnino. I'm thrilled.

message 45: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Pageant Annery wrote: "OMG yes Nick! Armie Hammer *claps* Also it has gotten very good reviews from Sundance and it's the same guy who directed Tilda Swinton in that swoonfest "I Am Love" Luca Guadagnino. I'm thrilled."

Swoonfest is right. "I Am Love" was fantastic. The wait for this is going to kill me.

Madelyn I agree with you! And I'm so excited to watch Armie Hammer and Timothee Chalamet! Good review

Richard Uy Hi! Can you help me understand the San Clemente Syndrome? And elaborate it more please. Really need a lil help here

message 48: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Pageant Richard wrote: "Hi! Can you help me understand the San Clemente Syndrome? And elaborate it more please. Really need a lil help here"

Can anyone help Richard (and me) out? What does the poem San Clemente Syndrome mean in the context of the story?

Annery Nick wrote: "Richard wrote: "Hi! Can you help me understand the San Clemente Syndrome? And elaborate it more please. Really need a lil help here"

Can anyone help Richard (and me) out? What does the poem San Cl..."

There's an ongoing "Call Me By Your Name" discussion on GR, which I'm too dim to "tag" you on. The last comment from 2016 touches pretty succinctly on this topic.

message 50: by Vic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vic Rodriguez This book has affected me in a new big level

« previous 1 3