Nathan Curtis's Reviews > The Prince's Man

The Prince's Man by Deborah Jay

U 50x66

This was a very enjoyable book. It's nice to see something a little different when it comes to fantasy novels and this fit the bill quite nicely. The Prince's Man is first and foremost the story of Rustam Chalice, the kingdom's top spy, and Risada Delgado vas Domn, its top assassin. For a large portion of the book, they are at each others throats, sometimes literally. The book really starts to pick up when they rescue Elwaes, an elf held captive.
Probably my favorite thing about this book was the interaction between the characters. The tension between them and the different viewpoints were much of the backbone of the story. I also loved the fact of the various kingdoms (and species), with their different ideas and types of magic, as opposed to Tyr-en, a kingdom that outlaws magic.
This is not an "action fantasy" full of battles and the sort. There are fights, although they usually are disposed of quickly. This is more a thinking person's fantasy- a story of intrigue. It is extremely well done and although it is written so it could be a stand-alone novel, it's not and I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.

I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prince's Man.

November 11, 2013 – Started Reading