Georg's Reviews > The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

liked it
bookshelves: english, crime

It seems to be unfair to rate the two first Millenium-novels by five stars and then give only three stars for the last one. On the other hand it is not fair to write two brilliant books and then publish a 600 pages long epilogue without much of a new story, either.

600 pages look like a long story, but if you skip the 300 cups of coffees Micke and his friends make, stir and drink, if you skip the complete index of the Stockholm city-map and if you skip the subplot of Erika and her stalker (which yields nothing to the main story) it boils down to 250 pages at most.
Some trivia questions you will answer completely wrong if you have not read this book:
1. If you are in hospital and your father who wants to kill you lies in the room next to you, what would you do?
a) Call the police/a friend/your lawyer for security.
b) Keep quiet and arm yourself with a pencil.
2. Imagine you are the most famous reporter in Sweden and you are after the biggest story of this otherwise story-free country. What would you do?
a) Keep my mobile switched on in case something new happens or someone needs my help.
b) Always switch it off so I have at least some rest when it’s dark outside.
3. If you are a lawyer and you are in possession of a secret document which can destroy part of the secret service (and can save the freedom of your client), what would you do?
a) I will put the only copy I have in my briefcase and take a walk.
b) I copy it several times on my hard-drive, some CDs and my USB-stick and make some further printed copies before I take a walk.

And: Where is Camilla?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

October 30, 2009 – Shelved
November 17, 2009 –
page 23
Started Reading
January 3, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

Grace Tjan That's what I thought too. It's disappointing that the series have to end not with a bang but with a whimper. The 250 pages is interesting, the rest is just boring.

I think Larsson probably saved the Camilla plot for subsequent books.

Laura agreed!!

Kasia I still liked it, but you're totally right.

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine I hate disagreeing with you all, however, I found the book to be most disappointing.
Although I tend to be quite a tenacious reader, I couldn't make it through this one.
This one got chucked into the dust bin.
I hear it gets better at the end?
Shucks.
I am assuming that the author's untimely death prevented him from fine-tuning what might have been a good read.

Panthergirl I had to LOL at the cups of coffee, stirring, etc. because I thought the exact same thing! I did end up loving this book, but the amount of minutiae was really distracting (as well as all the product placement!). I'm very sad that this is the last we will see of Lisbeth Salander.

Phil I never understood the phone being turned off...Really...after going through the process of securing the second phone?

message 7: by D (new) - rated it 3 stars

D Yes, lots of coffee. I also noticed they ate a lot of cheese sandwiches for breakfast.

Janet An astute review! The first 400 pages I kept flipping to the cover to affirm it was indeed written by Larsson. If he had published the first two books of the trilogy before he died I would have said this was the "back taxes and alimony" book churned out to make a quick buck. It all came together in the end but was pretty tough sledding before that. The nail gun was a nice touch reminiscent of the wood chipper in the Coen Brothers movie "Fargo."

message 9: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I kind of agree. I immediately thought that the Camilla story was what would be in future books since he tied up EVERY other loose end. Even the Gibraltar lawyer which I really didn't care about and actually could have been left out all together. I thought if anything that part was just bogging down the end.

Elena Deb wrote: "Yes, lots of coffee. I also noticed they ate a lot of cheese sandwiches for breakfast."

Elena and frozen pizza at all other times!

Heather ...love your last bit - where is Camilla? Exactly...I kept waiting...all for nothing :|

message 14: by Hester (new)

Hester Green ..and the other half-siblings that Zalachencko mentions when taling to his daughter at the farm?

Lourdes Balderrama otero Hahaha my thoughts exactly!!! It took me years to finish this book... I don't know how many times I rolled my eyes. I thought the stalker story would amount to something, but just as many other side stories did, it did nothing but delay the oh-so-unsurprising ending.

This trilogy should have been a duology!!!

This trilogy should have been a duology!!!