Bryce's Reviews > The Fellowship of the Ring

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

U 50x66

Recommended for: everyone. This is an essential read.

I consider the Lord of the Rings trilogy the best fantasy, and perhaps the best fiction, ever written. Middle Earth is a beautiful, rich, complete land to which Narnia pales by comparison (don't get me wrong, I very much like Narnia, too).

The beginning of the quest, which starts innocently but dives into a much larger, darker world than its protagonist, Frodo Baggins, could have ever imagined, is absolutely spellbinding. A small portion of the near-infinite background is revealed and armed with a shallow knowledge of the lore of the One Ring, Frodo embarks on a mission deeper and more dangerous and impactful than he could ever possibly have fathomed.

The depth and beauty of Tolkien's work stems from his obsession with language and how world events impact its evolution. To create this book and its wealth, Tolkien developed 14 complete languages, all of which can be learned and spoken, written, and read. He created the lore and legend that each population clung to for their heritage. The relationships, distrusts, friendships, and animosities between the races stem from ancient and powerful roots. The detail of the world before the series lends it a believability that is virtually unparalleled even in many nonfiction works.

I've read this series 4 or 5 times, which is something I have not done with any other work, aside from formative Christian religious texts. No one book is complete without the other two, so I consider them all to be the same book, divided into several parts--so as to allow for the faint of heart to enter Middle Earth in safer, smaller pieces.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fellowship of the Ring.

Started Reading
June 1, 1995 – Finished Reading
October 12, 2007 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Emily The Lord of the Rings is my favorite series.

Ðɑηηɑ Wow! I want to read it, I did tried once but I got too bored. I watched a couple of the films, but I guess the books are better (and if I am right, then it must be FANTASTIC, isn't it?) Well, thank you very much. I gonna read it soon :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

i agree

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

p.s. how o you write a review?

Connor Bright It is not a trilogy or series. It is ONE book!