Elizabeth's Reviews > The Kingdom of Ohio

Oct 29, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: first-reads
Read in December, 2009

I wanted to like this book. I really did. And there were parts I did like a lot—any book that sends me to the computer to dig around for historical accuracy/detail is onto something, I think. The fact that Flaming relied on references to actual books (I first realized he was using actual books when Walter Havighurst's book showed up in the footnotes, and as a Miami grad, I know exactly who Havighurst is) was a very clever tool in setting up the "what if" possibility of a lost kingdom of Toledo's existence.

The book fell apart for me in the disjointed narration and lost opportunities to develop the more interesting storylines in favor of spending a little too long on the less interesting ones. The subway scenes were definitely fascinating, and I enjoyed reading about the workers who did the hard work of excavating the subway tunnels, but there simply wasn't enough to hold the two storylines together. This would have been a far better alternative history book, focusing on the Kingdom of Ohio only and leaving the time travel bit out completely. I wanted more of the Toledo family, their existence in the American frontier, and the difficulty the U.S. government might have had dealing with a renegade royal kingdom in the early stages of U.S. history. That was the story I wanted to read.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kingdom of Ohio.

Audrey Lucky you! I was so hoping to win a copy of this. I did win a copy of The Boy Who Harnessed the Winds, though....wanna swap once you've finished it (I'll send it back after I finish)?

Elizabeth absolutely! Did you see I won a SECOND one today, too? need to buy a lottery ticket tomorrow! So glad you're on board with Wendy's project : )

message 3: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea I was registered to win this one too. Please let us know how it is. :)