Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews's Reviews > River's Redemption

River's Redemption by Anne Rainey

bookshelves: guiltypleasures-slick

Slick‘s review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Review copy provided for an honest review.

5 STARS

I’ve read and reviewed Anne Rainey’s Blackwater series from the start and I always knew that River’s story would be the hardest to read but I also hoped that it would shed some light on River’s earlier life and what keeps him at arm’s length from everyone. I will never understand the monsters who abuse children but unfortunately I’ve seen the damage it causes and the fallout that occurs and Ms. Rainey did a very good job of helping the reader understand the burden that abuse victims carry with them and the demons they must slay. When the River and his brother’s were put in foster care they were separated and while most of them fared okay before being adopted by the Jennings, River was placed in an abusive household. His brother’s have always worried about him, his adoptive parents tried to right the wrong, but River has it in his head that he doesn’t deserve anyone special in his life, especially Jeanette Munroe who he sees as way to innocent for him. Friends since childhood, Jeanette has always had a crush on River but a recent incident had her backing away and breaking ties but when she’s injured River steps up to prove he can and will be there for his friend.

Having seen these two interact in previous books there’s no denying how close they are but River has always been careful about keeping his distance and Jeannette has decided it’s now or never. When a male friend of Jeanette’s visits, River finds the ugly green monster jealousy rearing its head and making him confront his feelings. I loved that Jeanette has no problems with telling River how she feels about him and once he makes a move she’s all over him and pretty much doesn’t let go. River is so stubborn and even though he feels something for Jeanette he just refuses to believe he’s the man for her. Thankfully he has friends and family that have no problem helping him see the light. River and Jeanette have a long history as friends and so when they finally make that step to lovers; it’s a truly special moment.

It was hard re-living some of River’s past through his dreams, memories, and personal re-telling but it was important to the story. It also helped the reader to understand his thinking as well as the outlet he uses to combat the stress. River is a pretty complex guy but thankfully Jeanette has no problems digging in and figuring him out.

I’ve loved the Jennings family from the first book and while I’m so happy they’ve all found their perfect match, I’m sorry to see this series come to an end. I’ve enjoyed each book, but I’m going to admit that River has always held a special spot in my heart and thus his book is my favorite. Everyone deserves happiness and love and thankfully Janette showed River that he was no different.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read River's Redemption.

Started Reading