Cristina T.'s Reviews > Divide & Conquer

Divide & Conquer by Madeleine Urban

bookshelves: m-m, favorites, read-in-2014, reviewed, read-in-2015
Read 2 times. Last read May 5, 2014 to May 3, 2015.

Oh. my. God. I don't think I can write a proper review (a.k.a. it's gonna be a freaking mess), because I just finished this book and I don't know what my feelings are doing! What a roller-coaster! Laughing hysterically one minute, sobbing the next, swooning, then being heartbroken and all the intense and sweet moments - I just... wow.

Warning: The next part of the review contains spoilers.

This series just keeps getting better and I loved this book right from the start!
Ty & Zane are in their FBI offices and Ty, of course, is bored, so he's sending Zane a series of text messages containing jokes, trying to break Zane's concentration and make him laugh.

You realize I have free texting plan right?

Did you hear about the guy downstairs who lost his left arm and left leg in a wreck? Hes all right now.

What do you call a monkey in a mine field? A baboom.

Zane refuses to break and ignores Ty's messages, up until Ty has to go into a meeting and then he strikes with a lot of pun-filled texts...

Energizer bunny arrested. Charged with battery.
Ty's lips twitched as he tapped out a quick response.
Is he being held in a duracell?

...Ty surrenders, because the puns get to be too much and they get caught by their co-workers.

You win. Ill do anything please make it stop.

Promise you'll scream for me tonight.

Lucky for Ty, he's got Zane listed as 'Lone Star' in his phone, so their colleagues don't catch on.

It's not like I read the books for their plot before, but this one just didn't hold my interest at all. Long story short, four teenagers are keen on wreaking havoc on the city of Baltimore, while robbing banks, setting up bombs, hurting people in the process and targeting the two Special Agents, especially Ty.

What I was interested in, obviously, was Ty & Zane and how their relationship developed. The angst got to be too much at times and I was eager to see Zane finally giving in and admitting his feelings for Ty. I wanted to smack him upside the head so badly sometimes! But man, was it worth it when he DID finally say it out loud...

"First time I saw you, after I got over hating you, I knew," he said [...] "I knew I'd fall in love with you."

"Ty." Zane's even, soothing tones finally broke on the short gasp of his name. "I love you and I'm scared I'll lose you. Please don't leave me alone in the dark."

In this book, we also get to meet Ty's former Recon team, Sidewinder, which I loved (except for Owen, he was an asshole). Ty goes out for a drink with them and he outs himself, telling them about Zane. The guys take it fairly well, but some drama with his best friend, Nick, occurs. But I loved Nick, nonetheless...

Speaking of, Ty & Zane's sex scenes were EXPLOSIVE! Starting with the kitchen counter sex (or lack thereof, actually, since it was a missed opportunity in the end), then Ty fucking Zane against the door out of jealousy and possessiveness and last, but not least, Zane FINALLY returning the two previous blowjobs Ty gave him.

"Sure you still want dessert before dinner?"
"You're not dessert, Zane. You're the main course," Ty informed him [...] "And you have about five seconds to take your pick of flat surface before I do it for you."

I promised myself I wouldn't try to pick a favorite anymore, but I have to admit Ty had my heart this time. The way he cared for Zane when his partner was helpless, how gentle he was, how much of himself he gave, being really patient to get the same in return... When he wore his Marine uniform, I think I just died... I was right there with Zane, admiring the glorious sight.

The ending left me so frustrated! Even more so, since I have to read Warrior's Cross, before I move on to the next book in the Cut & Run series! Ugh!

* * * * *

My reviews in the Cut & Run spinoffs:
Warrior's Cross - my review
Shock & Awe (Sidewinder, #1) - my review
Cross & Crown (Sidewinder, #2) - my review

Important note: I highly recommend the books to be read in the following order...
will be updated as soon as new books are published
Cut & Run; Sticks & Stones; Fish & Chips; Divide & Conquer; Warrior's Cross; Armed & Dangerous; Dine & Dash; Stars & Stripes; Touch & Geaux; Shock & Awe; Ball & Chain; Cross & Crown; Crash & Burn ...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divide & Conquer.

Quotes Cristina T. Liked

Madeleine Urban
“Marines either know how to use an iron or they get married [...]. The iron is less dangerous.”
Madeleine Urban, Abigail Roux, Divide & Conquer

Madeleine Urban
“Promise you’ll scream for me tonight.”
Madeleine Urban, Divide & Conquer

Abigail Roux
“You’re not dessert, Zane. You’re the main course, Ty informed him in a husky drawl. And you have about five seconds to take your pick of flat surface before I do it for you.”

Abigail Roux
“He wanted Ty with him, wanted him badly. Needed him as a partner, and not just at work. Craved him as a lover more than he’d ever jonesed over heroin. Connected with him in so many ways that Zane couldn’t see a way to untangle himself and didn’t even want to try”

Abigail Roux
“He loved Ty Grady with all there was to give of his heart, and in the end, all it had taken was one wink for Zane to finally come to terms with it.”

Abigail Roux
“First time I saw you, after I got over hating you, I knew,” he said, echoing Ty’s words, “I knew I’d fall in love with you”

Abigail Roux
“Ty.” Zane’s even, soothing tones finally broke on the short gasp of his name. “I love you and I’m scared I’ll lose you. Please don’t leave me alone in the dark.”

Abigail Roux
“The prospect of calling Zane’s parents to tell them he was seriously injured, and oh, by the way, I’m your son’s partner who let him go by himself into the building that blew up, nice to meet you, has he told you he likes cock?”

Abigail Roux
“You ever get gut feelings? Like you see something and you just know?” Ty asked, feeling stupid but not caring. He felt Zane squeeze his hand. “First time I saw you, after I got over hating you, I knew… I knew we’d die together. I could just feel it deep down. Never felt that before.”

Finished Reading
May 11, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites
May 11, 2014 – Shelved as: read-in-2014
May 23, 2014 – Shelved as: reviewed
April 18, 2015 –
7.0% "This texting puns game is cracking me up! :D"
April 18, 2015 –
11.0% ""You’re not dessert, Zane. You’re the main course,” Ty informed him in a husky drawl. “And you have about five seconds to take your pick of flat surface before I do it for you."\n \n Mhm. Bossy Ty is on a whole other level of sexy. ;-)"
April 20, 2015 –
21.0% "Zane stared after him, rooted to the spot, and it wasn't even Ty's fine ass in those pants that had his attention. No, it was that flash of light in Ty's eyes that struck Zane right in the gut and made his breath catch.\n \n <3"
April 20, 2015 –
23.0% "Because LM allows spoiler tags... Here.\n \n "
April 24, 2015 –
36.0% "Poor Zane. My heart it breaking for him... :("
April 27, 2015 –
48.0% ""So? Jersey Shore over there is awfully pretty," Ty grumbled. "'My kitchen is better than yours,'" he mimicked under his breath as he reached for his water glass.\n \n Aww, jealous Ty is cute as a button! :D"
April 27, 2015 –
58.0% "Ty took his hand and pulled at him. "Come dance with me, Zane," he requested quietly.\n \n Mhm. I'm fine. *dies*"
April 27, 2015 –
58.0% "Spoiler on LM → here.\n \n "
April 28, 2015 –
72.0% "Ty was down to his last mouthful of beer when Nick finally spoke again. "You're a big ol' screaming bottom, aren't you?" he asked Ty with certainty.\n \n \n But he can top just fine, Nick. ;-)"
April 28, 2015 –
74.0% "All right. Ty, baby? Can you shut the fuck up about Nick fucking O'Flaherty now? Zane's right there, and angst-free is overrated anyway."
May 2, 2015 –
82.0% ""I've got you," he whispered.\n "Took you long enough," Ty answered in a hard voice. He turned his head, his cheek brushing Zane's lips.\n \n <3"
May 2, 2015 –
87.0% "Zane stared for all he was worth. Ty Grady in dress blues was a glorious sight to behold.\n \n Oh, Zane, I know how you feel. Ty Grady in his Marine uniform is the most glorious sight."
91.0% "Spoiler on LM."
May 3, 2015 – Shelved as: read-in-2015
May 3, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

~Mindy Lynn~ Love this series!

Cristina T. Lynn wrote: "Love this series!"

So do I! Ty & Zane are the best!

~Mindy Lynn~ Yes, love them! I've read the series twice. I am obsessed. I also like the side stories she started with Kelly and Nick. She started a new series with them two. Love them as well. You'll love those if love these ones.

Cristina T. That series is on top of my tbr-list! Though I doubt it will be better than/as good as Cut & Run, I'm sure I'll enjoy those books, too! :)

~Mindy Lynn~ Definitely not as good. They are more on the sweet side. I much more like the snarky roughness of Ty and Zane.

Cristina T. Even though I don't mind sweetness sometimes, snarky roughness beats it any day. ;)

~Mindy Lynn~ Cristina T. wrote: "Even though I don't mind sweetness sometimes, snarky roughness beats it any day. ;)"

I agree. I like sarcastic smartasses so those are my favorite types to read. Sweetness has to be done right for me to like it. I can't do cheesiness.

Cristina T. Oh, yes, sarcastic characters are among my weaknesses. Of course, those who don't overdo it, so they become downright rude all the time. And I have to agree on the cheesiness, too!

✝✝ Ⓓaisy ❣ ✝✝ Brilliant review girl.

Cristina T. Daisy wrote: "Brilliant review girl."

Thanks, Daisy! :)

message 11: by Tanita (new)

Tanita ...and you are just great love :) i love your reviews soo much! and this...You're not dessert, Zane. You're the main course," Ty informed him [...] "And you have about five seconds to take your pick of flat surface before I do it for you." c'moooon this is just screaming so loud that i HAVE to read that series ;)

Cristina T. Thank you so much, love! :)
Oh, hell yes, you should read it asap! It's just too good to miss it! You need to "meet" Ty & Zane eventually... ;)

message 13: by Tanita (new)

Tanita i will boobear, don't worry ;)