Sandra Stiles's Reviews > Al Capone Shines My Shoes

Al Capone Shines My Shoes by Gennifer Choldenko

Oct 28, 2009

bookshelves: middle-grades

This is the sequel to Al Capone Does My Shirts. Moose still lives on Alcatraz island where his father is a guard. Thanks to Al Capone his autistic sister has found a place into the Esther P. Marinoff School. Moose is grateful until he receives a note in his shirt that says “your turn”. Another note tells him that Mae Capone is coming for a visit and she loves yellow roses. Now he has to find a way to give her yellow roses without getting his father fired. This was a great book. It was filled with more adventure than the first one. Moose gets to see both sides of Al Capone, the decent and the conniving side. The story is full of prejudices, overcoming prejudices, learning to be a friend to someone with out setting boundaries and learning to forgive. Moose’s sister Natalie plays a larger role in this book as well. I know they didn’t have a word for Natalie’s condition back then but the author draws upon her own experiences of having an autistic sister. I have worked with many autistic children in school and was able to make that subtle connection. It personalized the book in so many ways. I saw the kids the same way I see my students at school with some of the same problems such as, boyfriend, girlfriend problems, parent problems, friend problems and in some cases reacting inappropriately or making bad choices because of people who abuse authority. This will go on my shelves next to the first book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Al Capone Shines My Shoes.