Antoinette Maria's Reviews > Into the Wild

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

F 50x66
Oct 11, 2007

it was ok

The writing was good, but lacking a little perspective. The tone very much conveys how much he empathizes with the protaganist (the who didn't take risks when they're young approach) and points out the perhaps valid reasons he had to not get along with his family. But he gives the guy a pass on his self righteousness and stupidity. I ended it feeling not exactly deserved to die, but I didn't feel sorry for him either. I do wonder what I'd think of this book now as opposed to when I first read it. I was around his age at the time and I had zero tolerance for his smugness and lack of preparation, but I wonder if being older would make me somehow nostalgic for what I remember being youg like or if it would be like the My-So-Called-Life experience. When that show was still on television, I was about the same age as Angela, but I thought all the hype about the show depicting what teenagers were really like was completely ridiculous, but then when I watched it later, I started to think the shows were very realistic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Wild.