(NS)JenniferA's Reviews > The Recess Queen

The Recess Queen by Alexis O'Neill

Oct 28, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: picture-books, realistic-fiction

Mean Jean is the recess queen and a very big bully. She bosses everyone around on the playground at school until one day a new student arrived. The new student did as she pleased and did not allow Mean Jean to boss her around. Finally, the new student asks Mean Jean to play with her...will Mean Jean play with the new student? This book would be great to read to young students when having discussions about character education. I think many children could relate to this story. The illustrations jump out at you in a hectic way and the even the way the words are placed on the pages adds a special something to the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Recess Queen.

Amie Jennifer,
I read this story, too. I enjoyed it very much, but don't you wish it was just that easy to get students to stop bullying others? It does give students another way to look at a bully- as someone who just wants a friend to play with.

NSAndrew Liebergen Wow!! Loved the illustrations in this book.
Even if the story line was a little unrealistic, it was just fun to look at. I could easily see a mini lesson around this book. Maybe a carpet time read aloud with a DR-TA. I do like the fact that it does have a good moral basis for the story. I like the fact that the little girl did not even notice that Jean was a bully and just assumed she was a nice person who wanted someone to play with. I think that is a quality idea to get across to the students.
Last not on the illustrations, I think it was brilliant how the text actually interacted with the pictures. Weaving in and out and around about. It give the students something to keep their focus and attention on while reading.