Shelbi's Reviews > Here be Dragons

Here be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman

Oct 28, 2009

bookshelves: best-fairy-tale-fantasy, books-worth-re-reading, favorite-books-of-all-time
Read in October, 2009

Surprisingly enough, I was able to find this (semi) rare book in my scant city library, and it was completely worth it.

At first, I had a real problem 28 year old men marrying 12/14 year olds, but after I got over it, I became completely engrossed in the book. I love being able to make English connections and this swashbuckling novel is no exception. It features King Richard the Lionheart and his "cowardly" brother King John. The more I read about John Plantagenet, the more I don't like him, despite half the book depicting him in a positive fashion.

Also, I want to go to Wales now. The protagonist, Llwelyn ab IIorewth is one of my new favorite characters, up there with Wesley from the Princess Bride, John of Gaunt from Katherine and Aragorn from Lord of the Rings. Like Katherine, there is romance, tension, adventure and war. The only downfall is the length...I get so into the novel I often forget that I am up at 3am on a school night!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here be Dragons.

10/28 page 364
51.7% "Ahhhh! Why does it have to be so long?! I love it, but I don't have the time to sit down and finish!"
01/08 marked as: read

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I am glad you have enjoyed one of my favorite escape books. They are too long though and all three (it is a trilogy) take a little too long to begin--but Llewelyn will always hold a place in my heart. Like Katherine, some of the best things in this work happen to be true. The serendipty of historical fiction.

message 2: by Kenji (new)

Kenji Wales is a pretty little country; do visit!