JSou's Reviews > Winesburg, Ohio

Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson

1020084

bookshelves: classics, short-stories, favo-u-rites

A couple weeks ago, since my daughter had decided on a birthday party at Build-a-Bear Workshop, we had to take a trip to the dreaded mall. I don't like the mall. There's always parents screaming at their kids, it smells wierd, there's now monitors throughout, advertising and blaring even more shit that you just have to buy. Groups of girls hanging out, but not even talking to eachother since they're all too busy texting and walking at the same time. (How do they do this?) I even spotted an angry-looking kid wearing a shirt that stated, "I ♥ TATTOOED BITCHES", with a girl who couldn't have been more than 14 hanging all over him. Ugh.

Point being, whenever I'm feeling sickened by humanity, the best cure for me seems to be an amazing book and a hefty dose o' goodreads. Winesburg, Ohio was that amazing book.

The characters in this book are not likeable; all of them clearly have serious issues going on. And that's what I loved. They were so identifiable, that days later, I'm still thinking about it.

"The thing to learn is to know what people are thinking about, not what they say."

Sherwood Anderson knew how people thought, and reading each story completely blew me away. I think I'm probably one of the last people on goodreads who hadn't read this yet, but if not, I highly reccommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winesburg, Ohio.

October 28, 2009 – Shelved
October 28, 2009 – Shelved as: classics
April 12, 2010 – Started Reading
April 12, 2010 – Shelved as: short-stories
Finished Reading
April 20, 2010 – Shelved as: favo-u-rites

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

message 1: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben Can't wait to hear what you think of this. Make sure you read it in order -- no skipping around as if it's a short story collection ; )

JSou Will do.

I finally started this last night. I've been putting it off just because of the god-awful cover. I can't even find the image on goodreads. This is the one I have:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm almost embarrassed to read it in public.

message 3: by Ben (last edited Apr 18, 2010 09:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben Oh man, that is bad. Kind of creepy, even. I had some embarrasing moments taking my copy of Lolita around due to its cover (it was a picture of a young girl's lips, nothing more, nothing less). I love my Winesburg cover; it's the one of the professional painting of the girl in the field. I may even get a cheap print of that painting and put it somewhere...

JSou I wanted to finish this so bad last night, but I can't find it anywhere. I thought I left it in my bag, but it's just gone. I'm starting to panic.

message 5: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben Uh-oh... I'll send you another -- one with a much better cover -- if you want. What are the chances you'll find it?

JSou : )

Thank you! You are so thoughtful. I'll give it one more day of intense searching, and let you know.

This is going so good, I don't even mind the cover anymore.

message 7: by Ben (last edited Apr 19, 2010 12:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben Great to hear you (so far) also really like it!

(I'm holding off on sending you To the Lighthouse till you let me know about this, so def let me know after today.) : )

JSou Found it! It evidently fell out of my bag while in the car and was between the passenger seat and the door. Phew.

message 9: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben Cool- now get to readin' it! ; )

message 10: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El I must have been reading a fake Winesburg, Ohio written by some hack or something. I was totally underwhelmed, but everyone else seems to love it. You all just must be wrong. :)

message 11: by JSou (new) - rated it 5 stars

JSou :) I loved it. I wanted to immeadiately re-read it the second I was done.

message 12: by Rauf (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rauf yaaay, another Winesburgianite

message 13: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben Jessica, your awesome taste in books continues!

message 14: by JSou (new) - rated it 5 stars

JSou : )

I still have phrases from this swirling around in my head.

message 15: by Philip (new) - added it

Philip Not the last person to have read it.

I just put it on my to-read shelf.

message 16: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen El wrote: "I must have been reading a fake Winesburg, Ohio written by some hack or something. I was totally underwhelmed, but everyone else seems to love it. You all just must be wrong. :)"

I read the fake one too, I think. GR makes me doubt myself.

message 17: by JSou (new) - rated it 5 stars

JSou I think it would be great book club pick, Denise (though I've never been in an actual book club and don't know what the usual criteria is).

Warning: It's not the happiest of books, but I think you could get tons of discussions out of it.

Books Ring Mah Bell you are not the last one! I am! and another 5 star review comes across my page... I'd better get off my duff and get this book!

message 19: by JSou (new) - rated it 5 stars

JSou It's soooo good, Bells! I can't wait to hear what you think of it.