Amrita's Reviews > Treason

Treason by S.M. Boyce

bookshelves: read-in-2013

Treason starts right where we left Kara and Braedon in Lichgates and is very fast paced. Boyce does not spend too much time with further descriptions and plunges right into the story. When I finished Lichgates I expected certain turns that the story might take in Treason. But I was surprised and delighted to find unforeseen twists in the plot. While Lichgates was a brilliant debut novel with stunning descriptions and imagination, Treason showcases Boyce's skills in character development and storytelling. She is exceptionally good at creating villainous characters. While Carden's villainy will leave you outraged, the others are plotting, scheming and sometimes normal people.

What I also liked about Boyce's style is that she rarely leaves any questions unanswered for too long. You don't have to wait till the end of the series to find out what was left for Kara by her father. Moreover Kara matures into a powerful figure and Braeden stops being confused all the time. Romance and relationships play a large role in Treason and I believe it sets a tone for future books in the series. Another character, who develops into a pivotal role is Twin. While reading Lichgates I formed certain opinions about her and I am sure all readers will, but Twin's role in Treason is quite different from what I had expected. To avoid spoilers, I'll just say, I am still expecting Twin to become a character with more shades of grey.
The versatility of Boyce's storytelling is revealed by the fact that she doesn't have too many obvious cliffhangers holding the plot together. Instead, she has new characters with their own twists in the tale. The political nature and the feuds make Ourea really believable but I couldn't help drawing parallels with real world situations. As a result the underlying tension and strain in the book is quite palpable and makes it a faster read.

I would really like to ask Boyce, whether she considers playing chess akin to writing the Grimoire Saga. Treason reminded me of a convoluted game of strategy with pawns in a major role. I would recommend Treason to lovers of fantasy fiction, but it is essential to read Lichgates first and absolutely vital to read Heritage, if you don't want to lose your mind, wondering, what happens next?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Treason.

November 6, 2013 – Started Reading