Ann's Reviews > We Were Liars

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

Not just one of the best YA books I've read this year, but one of the best books I read this year in any genre. E. Lockhart has written a novel that is both literary and commercial. It will grab readers of YA, of course, but is also the perfect book to hand to those naysayers who wonder why adults read YA. I can't say enough about this book -- I want to simultaneously hug it and keep it for myself and hand it to everyone I know.

Please go into this as "blind" as you can -- don't let anyone spoil it for you. The less you know about the story, the more you will be affected. That being said, even though I've just finished it, I want to go back and re-read it right away.

(Read the Advanced Reading Copy; this will be published in May 2014).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Were Liars.

November 7, 2013 – Started Reading
November 8, 2013 – Shelved
November 8, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Linda Aw, geez, Ann. I changed my Goodreads status to "Want to Read", rushed to my library website to request, they didn't have it, went to my university's library website, they didn't have it, went back to Goodreads and see that it comes out NEXT May! I dont want to wait so long to read a book that you gave 5 stars to.

Kats And that is the coolest author bio I've ever seen on GoodReads. So adding it to my TBR. Yankee Book Swap 2014 in VT, Ann? That would be the one everyone wants!

Debbie Linda, you make me laugh because I experienced the same downfall after seeing both Ann and Michael listing it on their FB pages. :-) I guess we have something to look forward to!!!

message 4: by Rd (new) - rated it 1 star

Rd How have you read it? on Amazon it says it doesn't come out until may 14th 2013. If you have read it, where can I get it?

Kaley Ann, you were SO right. I could not put it down. And now that I've read it, I cannot wait to put it in the hands of as many people as I can! LOVED IT.

Karen Brown Wow! Just finished this amazing book and will be recommending to friends, family, and library patrons. Was impressed with what Lockhart was able to accomplish in just 240 pages. Another stellar recommendation Ann! Any interest in starting a thread on Goodreads for discussion of Liars?

Wendy Read this tonight based on your recommendation and loved it. Thanks !

Carol (Bookaria) Finished it in a night even though I'm a slow reader. Highly recommend it!

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Loved this book! Well said :)

message 10: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Thanks to your suggestion on BOTNS podcast I grabbed this book. I had a quiet day for once and sat and read this book nonstop! What an amazing story!
Thank you Ann!!

Camryn I wish that I had gone into this book 'blind', I feel that I would have enjoyed it more than I had.

Shruti Finally got around to this one. Went in fully blind. I was completely wrecked. This is the kind of book - and emotional impact driver a book - that reminds me why I read.