Conrad's Reviews > Twenty Thousand Roads: The Ballad of Gram Parsons and His Cosmic American Music

Twenty Thousand Roads by David N. Meyer

31945
Oct 28, 2009

bookshelves: to-read

In case you're not familiar with Gram's body of work, drop what you're doing RIGHT NOW and listen to "Hickory Wind," maybe the most beautiful song I can think of, or "$1,000 Wedding," which has scintilating, inscrutable lyrics and a great duet part for Emmylou Harris.

Reviewers seem to think this is the best bio of Gram Parsons. He was painfully private and not entirely socially comfortable, so anyone writing a book about the guy really has their work cut out for them.

Gram Parsons's music is country plus a little rock minus Beatles minus Elvis-y Gospel. I'm really curious how he came to write such distinctive music with a rather different set of influences than a lot of the stuff going around back then.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twenty Thousand Roads.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charles (new)

Charles Kell I love "Brass Buttons," the song about his mother's death. Haunting. A tear jerker. Dead at 26. I'm very thankful for the music he made but I can't stop thinking about what he would have created. The Flying Burrito Brothers are great, too, especially "Hot burrito #1" and "Sin City," ah, there is so much