Cara Lee's Reviews > Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories: And Other Disasters

Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories by Jean Shepherd

Oct 27, 2009

Read in May, 2013

If you liked the movie "A Christmas Story," you'll probably love this book. If you haven't seen "A Christmas Story," what are you waiting for?! Jean Shepherd is a consummate storyteller, and each of these gems offers a hilarious, heartwarming look at growing up in America at its most nostalgic and embarrassing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories.

10/27/2009 page 1
10/28/2009 page 48
13.64% ""It was almost as good as the turkey we had in Thirty-three." "But it wasn't quite as tender as the one we had in Twenty-nine.""
10/29/2009 page 58
16.48% ""The crowd ahead had begun to push the Buick off the road, like some great wounded whale. There is nothing deader than a dead Buick.""
10/30/2009 page 72
20.45% ""Now, how wouldja like to go next door and see the world's biggest cheese?""
11/02/2009 page 119
33.81% ""It read: 'I'll get you after school.' The kid, knowing he was doomed, often wet his pants right there and then.""
11/03/2009 page 146
41.48% ""Clear Lake-it was many things, but the one thing it wasn't was clear. In fact, it was never even clear why we went there, but we did.""
01/07/2010 page 161
45.74% ""Who stuck a Hershey bar in the glove compartment?" No one spoke... forevermore, the Oldsmobile had a chocolate-lined glove compartment."
01/10/2010 page 215
61.08% ""We never actually talked to a girl, of course, or even really got near one; we just hollered, gunned the motor and stared.""
01/25/2010 page 261
74.15% ""Certainly smells funny here." ...After all these years coming to the Orpheum, how was it I had never before been aware of all those feet?"
05/30/2013 marked as: read