Denise's Reviews > The Valley of Amazement

The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan

Nov 25, 2013

bookshelves: 2013-reading-challenge, fiction, female-author, historical-fiction, kindle
Read from November 07 to 14, 2013

Amy Tan is an amazing storyteller, and THE VALLEY OF AMAZEMENT exemplifies her skills. This is a multi generational story between mothers and daughters, as well as many other wonderful and important characters. The attention to detail and historical research that must have gone into the writing of this novel is mind-boggling. If you loved MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA, you will be fascinated by the details and lives of Tan's courtesans.

I have read some criticisms of this book in other reviews, that it was too long or too romantic. Personally, I love a long novel if it doesn't drag. VALLEY did have its moments where I thought it got a bit slow or perhaps could have ended sooner, but the pace always picked up. Judging the length and story in totality, though, I can't say the slow parts decreased my enjoyment of it. As for the romance criticisms, I do not read romance and detest sickeningly sweet romance stories. Yet the romances in this book did not bother me a bit. In many ways, the romantic relationships were an intricate part of the core of the story.

Overall, I really really enjoyed this book and almost wish it hadn't ended because I will miss the characters!

Edited to add that I went to an Amy Tan booksigning tonight. She was lovely.
17 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Valley of Amazement.

message 1: by Becky (new) - added it

Becky Great review, I have this on my TBR list…..as far as the length of a book, I never understand that criticism …..

Denise Neither have I, Becky!

message 3: by Taryn (new)

Taryn I agree with you that it was very long at parts, in fact, I found that I had put the book down at certain parts just so I wouldn't fall asleep but that still doesn't diminish it's quality. I also enjoy romance novels but I didn't really see this as a romance novel at all. I saw this as more of a biography even though it's fiction. I also didn't really like the ending, I would have loved to see more of how their relationships developed once they were all reunited together.