Carmen's Reviews > Sense and Sensibility

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

bookshelves: fiction, classics, traditionally-published, favorites, she-says
Recommended for: Fans of Classic Literature
Read 2 times. Last read January 30, 2019 to January 31, 2019.

RE-READ January 30, 2019 - Do you ever notice how Colonel Brandon is a man, who steps up and takes care of things like a man? Edward is kind of useless, I think Marianne got the real prize here.

Also fascinating just how much Austen is saying in this novel. She's saying A LOT and more and more becomes clear to me on every re-read. The scene where Willoughby shows up to confess to Elinor when Marianne is ill was particularly striking to me this time. What does this say about 'bad people' and the nature of their 'bad acts?' How does Elinor respond?

It's also really fascinating what Austen is saying about Marianne in this book. How illness and heartbreak change her and reshape her into a stronger, less selfish person. But at the same time, Austen does not condemn Marianne for her strong feelings and her runaway heart in the first 2/3 of the book. In fact, it is esteemed a bit. And is Marianne really selfish? That could be debated six ways to Sunday.

The book is very complex. There is a lot to think about.

RE-READ September 6, 2015

This is one of my all-time favorite books. I like it even more than I do Pride and Prejudice.

Everyone goes crazy over Lizzie Bennett and idolizes her, but my role model will always be Elinor Dashwood. She is a great sister, a trustworthy confidante, someone who always acts with honor and compassion. She is smart, fiscally responsible, stoic, and strong. I admire her so much and wish I could be more like her in real life.

I hate John Dashwood and want to punch him in the throat. Fucker. It surprises me each time that he is the most hated character for me in the novel.

Everyone hates on Marianne, but I like her. So she's a silly teenager! That's okay. She certainly learns and grows more than anyone else in the whole novel. She has a good heart and loves her sister dearly - I adore the scenes where she stands up for Elinor!

The loving sister relationship is one of the best things about this novel. Nothing melts my heart more than good sibling relationships. And Elinor and Marianne have each other's backs 100%. Even though their personalities couldn't be more different, their love and compassion for each other knows no bounds.

Austen is genuinely funny. I was snickering at some of her writing. She's an amazing author. She gets some jabs in there.

Elinor agreed to it all, for she did not think he deserved the compliment of rational opposition.

The most hilarious line in the novel:

"It is not everyone," said Elinor, "who has your passion for dead leaves."

The only man who was attractive to me was Colonel Brandon. He was the only male who had me drawing little hearts in my notebook. I can't be bothered with Edward. I don't think he acted very honorably. >.< Although I always tear up at the end when Elinor is so overcome with emotion that she runs from the room!

Elinor could sit no longer. She almost ran from the room, and as soon as the door was closed, burst into tears of joy, which at first she thought would never cease.

OMG My heart is breaking so much. <3 If anyone deserves a happy ending, it's her.

Elinor was to be the comforter of others in her own distresses, no less than in theirs...

She never burdens others with her problems, but is always there to comfort and listen to anyone else. The way she deals with Lucy Steele! She's a saint to put up with that, OMG!

She's beyond amazing.

(view spoiler)All within Elinor's breast was satisfaction, silent and strong.

Tl;dr - An amazing book, one I'm sure to read over and over again. This never ceases to be enjoyable! And I LOVE love love the film versions. I have watched them innumerable times! The 2008 BBC version with Morahan is the absolute BEST, IMO. I've included a list at the bottom of this review in case anyone wants to see some awesome film adaptations on this amazing novel.

Film Versions:

1995 Emma Thompson

BBC 2008 Hattie Morahan

BBC 1981 Irene Richard

2011 From Prada to Nada - Modern retelling

(1971 BBC Joanna David)

(2000 Bollywood I Have Found It, starring the stunningly gorgeous beyond belief Aishwarya Rai)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sense and Sensibility.

Started Reading
September 26, 2013 – Finished Reading
November 6, 2013 – Shelved
January 30, 2019 – Started Reading
January 31, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I have got to read this!

message 2: by Rossy (new) - added it

Rossy I want to read it, too! Great review, Carmen!!

message 3: by Carmen (last edited Sep 06, 2015 07:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carmen I have got to read this!

It is completely wonderful.

Carmen Rossy wrote: "I want to read it, too! Great review, Carmen!!"

Thanks, Rossy! If you do end up reading it, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Carmen wrote: "I have got to read this!

It is completely wonderful.

If you find Austen a bit hard to read, I highly suggest watching a film version first and then reading the book. :)"

Hmmm, I think Netflix might have it. I will have to check :-)

Carmen :) 2008 BBC with Morahan is my favorite, but the 1995 Emma Thompson is good, too. :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I know I saw one on there. Watch, it will be gone! I will check tomorrow :-)

Jason Koivu Great review, Carmen! This is a favorite of mine and I feel like I haven't read it enough times. I re-watch the fantastic 2008 BBC version over and over though.

Carmen Jason - Thank you! Of course, both the novel and the 2008 film deserve to be consumed over and over and over again! :)

Alejandro Trulu glad that you liked that much this wonderful novel ;) And cool option to re-read ;)

Carmen Thank you so much, Alejandro! In truth, I hope to read this many times over! :)

message 13: by Donna (new)

Donna Wonderful review, Carmen. You've made me want to read this book again. And as for Elinor and her fine qualities, I agree. I believe that you have a number of them yourself. :)

Carmen *blush* Well, I don't know if I deserve your kind words, Donna, but thank you! And of course reading the book again is a wonderful idea. :)

message 15: by Licha (new) - added it

Licha Good point about watching a film version before reading the book if the book is hard to read. The visual format helps and I don't think in the case of classics that it will ruin the experience of reading afterwards. Thanks for adding the film versions, including the loosely based modern version.

Carmen Licha: No, I agree with you - with Austen's books watching the film version will not ruin the experience of reading afterward. A rare case where this is true. I agree that for classics, one doesn't often encounter the "ruining effects" that plague more modern books.

Although I still refuse to watch Anna Karenina.

Prada to Nada is the Latina modern-day interpretation of the story! Rather loose, as I said, but still very enjoyable.

BrokenTune There is a film version with Joanna David?? Wow. Need to look for it.

Also, I love your review. I agree with every word.

Carmen Yes! There is a film version starring Joanna David! I am literally watching it right now!

This is Part One of Episode One, you can watch the whole thing on YouTube:

And thank you! I'm glad you agree with me!

BrokenTune Carmen wrote: "Yes! There is a film version starring Joanna David! I am literally watching it right now!

This is Part One of Episode One, you can watch the whole thing on YouTube:

Oh, brilliant. Between this and the FutureLearn Forensics course based on a Val McDermid story, my evening is sorted.

And as for your review - EVERY WORD!

Carmen LOL Thanks, BrokenTune! And enjoy your fun evening! :D

Susana I can't stand Edward Ferrars, and after seeing him played by Hugh Grant in the Emma Thompson movie even less so.
As you, I also love Colonel Brandon. As a matter of fact, I would have loved if Brandon and Elinor had ended up together.

Carmen Honestly, Hugh Grant gives me the heebie jeebies. He is a skeever.

Yes! Colonel Brandon! The only man in this book I want to kiss. He and Elinor would have been very suited to each other - except for the fact that he's rather besotted and enamored with flighty, enthusiastic, starry-eyed young women. He definitely has a strong taste for silly teenagers.

message 23: by Donna (new)

Donna I feel the same way about Hugh Grant. I'm so glad to know at least a few other people feel this way. No one else I've mentioned it to understands what I mean. :)

Susana Carmen wrote: "Honestly, Hugh Grant gives me the heebie jeebies. He is a skeever.

Yes, you're right. One would think that Brandon would have learned that lesson by now, but no, he still likes to save damsel's in distress. And Elinor doesn't have an idiotic bone in her body.

message 25: by Carmen (last edited Sep 07, 2015 07:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carmen I feel the same way about Hugh Grant. I'm so glad to know at least a few other people feel this way. No one else I've mentioned it to understands what I mean. :)

Yes, ever since 1995 when he cheated on Elizabeth Hurley with that prostitute, he's been on my shit list. I do NOT forgive him. I'd definitely never let him sniff around my female loved ones. Skeever.

Carmen I honestly would have loved to see Lucy making Edward's life a living hell! Eheheh :D

Yes, Brandon likes the high-strung females, for sure. I don't think Elinor has any appeal for him. In this way, he's as illogical as Marianne.

message 27: by Donna (new)

Donna Exactly, Carmen!

Carmen Donna wrote: "Exactly, Carmen!"

:D

message 29: by Joe (new) - added it

Joe Valdez Radiant review, Carmen. I think Elinor Dashwood is you. I haven't read Jane Austen before but am thinking Sense and Sensibility is going on my 2016 reading docket.

message 30: by Carmen (last edited Sep 07, 2015 09:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carmen Oh, you're in for quite a treat, Joseph. You could do like your Shakespeares and watch the BBC version (or the Emma Thompson version) as/before/after you read. :)

Thanks for comparing me to one of my most esteemed literary role models, Joseph! I can only hope to be half the woman she is! <3

Kandice I would never push classics down someone's throat, but Austen's are so funny and still so relevant that you really should read them if you are at all inclined. This my fave, closely followed by Emma. Terrific review, BTW.

Carmen Thank you, Kandice.

message 33: by Licha (new) - added it

Licha I saw From Prada to Nada. It was a cute movie but I haven't read S&S yet, so I have nothing to compare it to. Once I get a chance to read the book, I'll have to watch FPtN again and have fun doing the comparisons.

message 34: by Licha (new) - added it

Licha Just a thought: My daughter and I were talking about Austen and how cool it would be for her to time travel into the future and see how her books have outlived her for over two centuries. What would she think of all the people who to this day and age still love her books with a passion, all the movie adaptations (how cool would it be for her to watch any of these movies based on her books?), the fan fiction? Even for her to see how far women have evolved since her time, but also knowing she was one of the first people to make such strong women protagonists. I love the thought of Austen being able to experience all that.

Carmen Licha wrote: "I saw From Prada to Nada. It was a cute movie but I haven't read S&S yet, so I have nothing to compare it to. Once I get a chance to read the book, I'll have to watch FPtN again and have fun doin..."

It's a bit of a stretch from the real book, but fun, I thought.

Carmen Licha wrote: "Just a thought: My daughter and I were talking about Austen and how cool it would be for her to time travel into the future and see how her books have outlived her for over two centuries. What wou..."

That would definitely be cool, Licha!

Jaksen Love this book and need to re-read it!

(Second fav. Austen book after Mansfield Park.)

Carmen It's SO interesting to see what different people's favorite Austen book is! :) I'm finding a lot out about my friends.

Laura Hoppo I've just finished a retread too! =]
I've got to agree with almost everything in this review except the following points:
1. Lizzie is the best. Like, I admire Elinor more but identify more with Lizzie. She's my Austen spirit animal.
2. P&P is still my favourite Austen, followed by Persuasion then S&S, but let's be honest, they're all so great that it's a photo finish.
3. While Marianne's live of dead leaves is the funniest line, the best scene is when Mrs Jennings and Elinor totally misunderstand each other and Elinor is talking about Edward taking the parsonage and Mrs J is waffling about Elinor and the Colonel being engaged. That definitely made me laugh out loud.

Other than these three points, your review is spot on! ;)

Carmen LOL Thanks so much, Laura!

Apatt Brilliant review Carmen, you have a much better insight into the book than me!

Carmen LOL Thank you, but your review was great! I've read this twice now and I really love it.

Anurag I fell in love with Elinor, I wanted to marry her.

Carmen I also adored her. Perhaps not enough to marry her, but she certainly was a role model for me.

Melanie Downes I thought John Dashwood was a total jerk. I love Elinor Dashwood

Carmen Melanie - I know, right?!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ I liked the Emma thompson film better than the book (even though Thompson was way too old for the part)
I would love to see the Bollywood version!

Melanie Downes I haven't see Emma the movie. but that is my first favorite Jane Austen book

Carmen Carol ♔ Type, Oh Queen! ♔ wrote: "I liked the Emma thompson film better than the book (even though Thompson was way too old for the part)
I would love to see the Bollywood version!"

Yeah, the Bollywood one rocks!

Carmen Melanie wrote: "I haven't see Emma the movie. but that is my first favorite Jane Austen book"

Great!